Financial Reporting Ranks as Top Technology Issue
"The very nature of financial reporting - its purpose and significance - is now a major part of the national debate," explained Mr. Harding, "so it makes sense that reporting applications would figure so prominently on the list."
The full listing of the top ten issues for 2002, in order of importance, is as follows:
- Business and Financial Reporting Applications
- Training and Technology Competency
- Information Security and Controls
- Quality of Service
- Disaster Recovery (includes business continuation and contingency planning)
- Communication Technologies - Bandwidth
- Remote Connectivity Tools
- Web-based and Web-enabled Applications (Internet)
- Qualified IT Personnel
- Messaging Applications (e-mail, faxing, voicemail, instant messaging)
The rankings were determined by a web-based survey of those who hold the CITP (Certified Information Technology Professional) credential. Additional details  are available on the applications, issues, technologies and emerging technologies included in the AICPA's survey.