Going Green tip: Travel light
Cars and trucks run on fossil fuels, which release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. In the United States, automobiles produce more than 20 percent of the country's total carbon emissions. Aviation accounts for 3 percent of carbon emissions globally, producing approximately 600 million tons of carbon dioxide per year.
1. Walk or bike instead of driving a car.
2. Combine trips or share rides to reduce your time behind the wheel.
3. Reduce your airtime with teleconferences or by combining trips.
POTENTIAL ANNUAL SAVINGS:
* 0.9 tons CO2 for driving 1,000 miles less per year (assumes an average American, driving a large vehicle 12,000 miles per year).
* 2.2 tons CO2 for cutting back on one long airplane trip per year (assumes an average American, who takes the equivalent of one long, and two short flights per year).