Business IT tips: Five ways to make your reports stand out
1. Use color sparingly: A report is about content, so bear this in mind. Use color to enhance the report but remember that the presentation will be a distant memory if it is not well written.
2. Cut, cut, and cut again. Knowing when to stop and how to convey information concisely means that you will have to cut, paste, and edit your report several times before submitting it. Also remember to seek the advice of others who are not so involved and can bring a sense of perspective.
3. First impressions last: spelling or grammatical mistakes will seriously undermine the impact of your report. Always use a spell-checker and if the report is crucial, ask someone else to proof-read it for you.
4. Balance text and pictures: a picture is worth a thousand words, but inserting graphics every 300-400 words or so will keep your audience attentive and interested.
5. Use the space: Be smart and use white space. Using 1.5-line spacing eases the reading process for the reader.