CA Residents are Prime Targets for IRS Audits
The IRS insists that it does not single out residents of California, and instead points out that a large number of high incomes, self employment and cash-based businesses trigger audits, and California seems to have the needed mix.
Listed below are other trends found in data collected by Syracuse University's Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse.
- High income taxpayers in Los Angeles are audited three times more frequently than the national average.
- Residents of California with incomes under $25,000 were audited in person at twice the national rate.
- Tax evasion and "willful failure to file" prompted most criminal filings in Los Angeles.
IRS's Most-Audited Districts
- Los Angeles County
- North Central Midwest (Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota)
- Southern California
- Northern California
- Manhattan (New York City)
- Central California
IRS's Least-Audited Districts
- New Jersey
- Virginia/West Virginia