AccountingWEB Weekly Resource Guide - Issue 63
- Companies Prepare For New-Wave of Pay-Tracking Software
- Bankruptcy Filings Hit All-Time Record
- Unleash The Potential of Booklets to Sell Your Accounting Services
- CIO Survey Reveals 4th Q Technology Hiring Outlook
- Employers May be Entitled to a Refund of FICA Taxes Paid on Severance
- Want an Edge in the Job Market? Get Yourself a "CMBA"
- September 11 Victims, Spouses Receive Tax Break
- Labor Day Report Exposes Excessive Executive Pay
- Book Recommendation: Execution, The Discipline of Getting Things Done
Premium Subscription Service - If you are not enrolled in this $49/year Premium Service, enroll today .
- We’ve Lost the Client Focus
- Free Report – "Nixing Negativity In The Workplace"
- Selling to Your Existing Clients
- Use Outlook Calendar to Manage Your Client E-Mail Follow-Up!
- Bring More Than Your Resume to Your Next Job Interview
Registration Deadline is September 13.  AccountingWEB invites CPA firm partners and decision-makers from across the country to join us in Indianapolis, Indiana, October 17-18, 2002 to participate in a strategic two-day retreat, specifically designed to help you open doors to new service opportunities. Find out more today 
A new generation of software called pay-tracking technology or incentive-payment applications promises to help management find mistakes that often escape audits.
New bankruptcies filed during the second quarter of 2002 and for the past 12 months set all time records, according to data released by the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts.
For those of you who work with federal, state, or local governments and want knowledgeable, confident and experienced staff, turn to individuals who hold the Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM Certification. CGFM holders are serious about their careers, participate in professional development activities, and meet the rigorous standards endorsed by a national professional body. As a partner of KPMG commented, the CGFM should be the industry standard for government financial management professionals. It demonstrates the type of initiative that will make you successful in this practice. Learn more about the CGFM Program today . Call 1-800-AGA-7211 for a FREE INFORMATION KIT AND GIFT
Does writing a booklet make you an 'authorlette'? It sure does. That is one of several key reasons to write an informational tips booklet. Author status opens many other doors for you and your practice.
Chief information officers (CIOs) anticipate a slowdown in the hiring of information technology (IT) professionals in the fourth quarter of 2002, according to the just-released IT Hiring Index.
A decision issued by the U.S. Court of Federal Claims may enable employers to obtain a refund of social security or "FICA" taxes paid on certain kinds of severance payments. The court adopted a broader standard, which could exempt many payments previously thought to be subject to FICA taxes.
The International Certification Institute and Thomson Corporation plan to introduce the Certified Master of Business Administration (CMBA) on September 3rd as students and professors head back to campus.
Typically taxpayers who sell a personal residence within two years of a previous such sale are barred from taking the tax exclusion that applies to the gain on the sale. According to IRS Notice 2002-60, taxpayers who lost a spouse or a job in the September 11 attacks will be able to forego the two-year waiting period and take the exclusion on the gain on the sale of a personal residence.
Two liberal policy groups celebrated Labor Day by issuing a report on "Executive Excess 2002: CEOs Cook the Books, Skewer the Rest of Us." The report shows poor accounting pays off for some CEOs, despite harmful consequences for workers and shareholders.
9. Book Recommendation: Execution, The Discipline of Getting Things Done, by Larry Bossidy 
Disciplines like strategy, leadership development, and innovation are the sexier aspects of being at the helm of a successful business; actually getting things done never seems quite as glamorous. But as Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan demonstrate in Execution, the ultimate difference between a company and its competitor is, in fact, the ability to execute. Order your copy today. 
Subscribe to the AccountingWEB Premium Subscription Service  today for just $49/year.
1. We’ve Lost the Client Focus 
Despite the fact that corporations spend millions of dollars each year on programs and training designed to teach them how to deliver exceptional customer service, we still suffer from mediocre service.
Negativity in the workplace could pose serious employee motivation and legal problems for employers. You can download this free report, along with other free reports for your business.
3. Selling to Your Existing Clients 
One of the biggest problems most professional firms have in selling is that they wait for their clients to approach them about additional service needs, rather than seeking them out proactively. Here are some helpful ideas to keep your clients coming back.
Like most of us today, e-mail is a key communication avenue that sometimes can get out of hand. This tip will keep you on track and ensure you don't miss an important contact.
Prepare a few more valuable tools to bring with you. The following items can keep you focused and organized, and help prove that you are an excellent candidate for the position.
For those of you who work with federal, state, or local governments and want knowledgeable, confident and experienced staff, turn to individuals who hold the Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM) Certification. CGFM holders are serious about their careers, participate in professional development activities, and meet the rigorous standards endorsed by a national professional body. As a partner of KPMG commented, the CGFM should be the industry standard for government financial management professionals. It demonstrates the type of initiative that will make you successful in this practice. Learn more about the CGFM Program today.  Call 1-800-AGA-7211 for a FREE INFORMATION KIT AND GIFT.
Here is a sample of the questions that have been posted over the past week. Check out the questions below and see if you can lend a hand or visit the Q&A Forum "Member Questions" Page  for the most recent questions/answers posted by our subscribers.
- I work full-time as an accounting manager and am taking some accounting classes at a local university. Recently, I began keeping books for the small church that I attend (using QuickBooks Pro). My question is, does anyone know of a good on-line resource for accounting standards/practices for non-profit organizations, and/or churches specifically? 
- I am looking for an out-of-print book called "Brand Valuation" by R. Perrier, published in 1997. I cannot get it at any online bookseller. Can you help me with any hint? 
- Time Reporting policies/procedures for consultants? What are the acceptable practices for recording time for consulting engineers? Particularly consultants who might work on gov't contracts. If anyone has any policies and procedures for recording of time and time sheet examples, I would love to take a look at them. 
If your organization is looking for professional speakers/presenters for your next meeting, contact AccountingWEB. Our professional staff can assist you with topics ranging from, Practice Management, Recruiting, Internet and Technology, Marketing and more. Contact our sales department at 317-876-7525 or e-mail mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org for further details and topics.
MarketPlace Home Page 
Accounting Policies 
Premium Subscription 
Book Recommendations 
Student Survey 
Andersen/Enron Survey 
Coaching Services 
Industry Profiles 
Member Questions 
When the economy is at the bottom there is no better time to advertise and build your brand. It is better to stand out now rather than wait for good times when everyone is fighting for the same audience. It takes some guts, but with the signs pointing toward an upturn, now is the time to take advantage of this opportunity.
AccountingWEB has a variety of promotional opportunities 
available for you to market your company, services and products to our targeted audience of accounting professionals.
Update your subscription information by visiting the Profile Page and selecting the "My Services" tab.
Subscribe to the AccountingWEB Premium Subscription Service