AccountingWEB Weekly Resource Guide - Issue 46
April 29 - May 3, 2002
This Resource Guide Brought to You By:
- Alert: Beware of Phony IRS Forms and Bank Letters
- Sharpen Your Management Skills With The Masters
- Get Real Time Facts – Free Success Kit
- Selling to Your Existing Clients
- A Firm Can Do Everything Right and Still Get Sued!
- The Benefits of Incorporating Your Business
- Most Executives Comfortable Job-Shopping While Still Employed
- Treasury Kicks Off New Tax Simplification Program
- AICPA Launches New Web Site for Students
- Educators Provide Free Software for Analyzing Footnotes
- Book Recommendation: The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable, by Patrick M. Lencioni
- From the Archives: Employees Need Soft Skills-Good Manners Matter
Plus: PressZONE, CareerZONE, TechnologyCORNER and The MarketPlace
"A good leader takes a little more than his share of the blame, a little less than his share of the credit." - -Arnold Glasow
Visit the AccountingWEB home page for the latest news and happenings around the profession. 
Don't miss a beat, keep up-to-date with the AccountingWEB Newswires .
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) has issued an alert to banks, asking them to warn their customers about a new fraud scheme that uses fictitious IRS forms and bank correspondence.
Sharpen Your Management Skills With The Masters An Hour With David Maister and Patrick McKenna - Thursday May 2 at 2:30pm. If you think you can use guidance, ideas and tips in managing a group of other professionals, then be sure to register for THIS THURSDAY'S conference call featuring world-renowned practice management experts David Maister and Patrick McKenna. This exclusive AccountingWEB presentation is scheduled for 2:30pm - 3:30pm EDT on Thursday May 2. Advanced registration is required.  Invite your colleagues to join you in a conference room and leverage your $75 investment. Find out more today. 
Manage by fact, not fantasy, with Daily Business Intelligence. When quarterly information isn’t good enough, get real-time facts about your business. Daily Business Intelligence gives you portal views of enterprise-wide information, for real-time decision-making support. Get the latest in sales, leads, and inventory, plus expense and headcount metrics. Only with Oracle E-Business Suite. Get your FREE Success Kit today. 
One of the biggest problems most professional firms have in selling is that they wait for their clients to approach them about additional service needs, rather than seeking them out proactively.
Statistics show that virtually every firm will be involved in a liability claim at some point. The time to adopt loss prevention techniques and enhance your quality control policies is now! Minimize your risk with PPC's Guides: Guide to Accountants' Legal Liability and Risk Management, Guide to Quality Control, Guide to Fraud Investigations, and Guide to Internal Control and Fraud Prevention. Order any two Guides and save 15%! For more info visit us today . To order, call (800) 323-8724, option 6, or e-mail us email@example.com  and mention code AW0402.
6. The Benefits of Incorporating Your Business 
As the tax season draws to a close it is the perfect time for small business owners to start planning for next year. One of the most overlooked, yet most beneficial, ways to help save on taxes is to form a corporation.
Finding time to pound the pavement is a common dilemma for employed job seekers. Two out of three respondents (69 percent) said they would be comfortable looking for a new position while still working.
On April 15, 2002, Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill announced the issuance by the Treasury Department of the first in a series of proposals to simplify the U.S. tax code. "Our tax code is so complicated," he said, "we've made it nearly impossible for even the Internal Revenue Service to understand."
As part of its marketing program to increase the number of students majoring in accounting, the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) is publicizing several Web sites for students.
To help bewildered investors sort through the footnotes in a year when companies are disclosing more information than ever before, Hal Varian and Marti Hearst, two faculty members at the University of California at Berkeley, have introduced a free software program called "FootPrint."
11. Book Recommendation: The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable, by Patrick M. Lencioni 
Imagine running into the ultimate management mentor late one night on an otherwise deserted commuter train, and walking away from the strange encounter with an encapsulated guide to success in the corporate world. That's exactly what screenwriter and business coach Patrick Lencioni has done in The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable, placing his tale in an easy-reading and thought-provoking kind of self-help novel. Puchase Now! 
12. From the Archives: Employees Need Soft Skills-Good Manners Matter 
Today's business is plagued with stories of lost sales, eroded relationships, and missed opportunities that may have been caused by a lack of "soft skills." A lack of proper manners and good etiquette can cost you business in today's competitive environment.
AccountingWEB has a variety of promotional opportunities available for you to market your company, services and products to our targeted audience of accounting professionals. Brand awareness and lead generation are the main reasons for an ongoing and targeted marketing campaign. Contact us today for more information. 
- Technology Terms for Dummies – Top 20 Terms 
- Building a Successful Technology Team 
- Five Technologies Accountants Should Know 
- Tips for Saving Time & Taking Control of Your Inbox 
- Anti-Spam Efforts May Affect YOUR Ability to Send E-mail 
Looking for the ideal candidate? Enter your company job openings today. AccountingWEB Members save $$ Now .
- Staff Accountant, Lynnwood, GA 
- Controller, Kennesaw, GA 
- Senior Corporate Accountant, Redmond, WA 
- Auditor, Fayetteville, NC 
- Financial Coordinator, Olympia, WA 
Considered by many to be "checklists to success" written by the experts, E-Booklets from AccountingWEB can help you excel in both professional and personal development. Just $9.95 each - available for immediate download. To order, you will need a credit card number and will need to be logged in as a registered member of AccountingWEB.
- 87 Ways to Get 87% More Out of Microsoft Word 
- 101 Ways to Look Like an Executive (For Men) 
- 101 Ways to Look Like an Executive (For Women) 
- 110 Ideas for Organizing Your Business Life 
- 115 Essential Tips For Effective Presentations 
Here is a sample of the questions that have been posted over the past week. Check out the questions below and see if you can lend a hand or visit the Q&A Forum Page  for the most recent questions/answers posted by our members.
- Can an S-Corp decide to revoke it's S-Corp status and go back to it's original C-Corp status. If so, how is this done? 
- According to SFAS 106, contractors are required to account for post-retirement health care benefits (PRBs) on an accrual basis vs. pay-as-you-go (cash) basis. The Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 31.205-6(o) states that to be allowable, PRB costs must be calculated in one of three ways: Cash Basis (pay-as-you-go), Terminal Funding, and Accrual Basis. Which is correct? 
- Free CD Trial - CCH Enteract Financial Planning Software 
- Intacct Online Professional Accounting Receives Highest Rating from InfoWorld Magazine 
- CCH Delivers Authorative 2002 U.S. Master Auditing Guide 
You've received this Resource Guide free of charge from AccountingWEB. We would like to thank our sponsors. Their ongoing support keeps this service free to the AccountingWEB membership. Visit them and show your support!
Update your membership information by visiting the Profile Page and selecting the "My Services" tab. 
All rights reserved.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."