Outlook Tip: Create a Signature Block
Follow these steps to create your own personalized signature block:
- Choose Tools, Options from the Outlook menu, then click the Mail Format tab.
- Click the Signature Picker button. The Signature Picker window will appear. Note: If you use Word as your e-mail editor, the Signature Picker button will be dim. See the instructions below for setting up a signature when you use Word as your e-mail editor.
- Click the New button. The Create New Signature window will appear.
- Give your signature a name. This will distinguish this signature from any others that you create.
- Click the Next button. The Edit Signature window will appear.
- Enter your signature information, using as many lines as necessary. There are buttons available that will enable you to customize the font and paragraph characteristics of your signature.
- Click Finish when you have entered all of your signature information. Your signature will now be available for use in Outlook messages.
To add your signature to a particular Outlook message, open a window for a new message. Open the Insert menu in the message window, then choose Signature. Click on the name of the signature you want to place in your message.
You can choose a signature to use as the default. A default signature appears in all of your messages, however you always have the right to remove the default signature.
To select a signature that will appear by default in your messages, follow these steps:
- Open the Tools menu in Outlook and choose Options.
- Click the Mail Format tab.
- In the Signature area of the window, open the drop down list and choose the name of the signature you wish to use as your default signature.
- Check the box if you want to use the signature when replying or forwarding; leave it unchecked and the signature will only appear in new messages.
- Click OK to save your selection.
Setting up a signature when you use Word as your e-mail editor
Following these steps will enable you to set up a signature in Microsoft Word which can then be used with your e-mail messages.
- Start a new message in Outlook.
- Choose Tools, Options from the menu, then click the General tab.
- Click the E-mail Options button and a window will appear.
- Enter a name for your signature, and the signature information, formatting it if necessary with fonts and paragraph formatting.
- Click the Add button to save your signature information.
- Enter the name of the signature you want to use as the default in the Signature for new messages and Signatures for replies and forwards areas, then click OK to save your signature information.