AccountingWEB Weekly Resource Guide - Issue 39
March 4 - March 8, 2002
This Resource Guide Brought to You By:
- File 1998 Tax Returns Now or Give Up Refund
- Motivating Your Staff - Questions to Lead By
- Improve Your Productivity - Affordable Solutions
- CFOs Plan Moderate Hiring Activity in Second Quarter
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Watch the Video Series Now
- AICPA Issues Proposed Standard On Fraud Detection
- IRS Adds Protection on Taxpayer Shelter Disclosures
- The World's Billionaires, According to Forbes
- E-mail Management - Part 1 of 2
- Book Recommendation: Excel 2000 Answers, By Gail Perry, CPA
- From the Archives: Basic Computer Maintenance Tips
"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." - - Ben Franklin
Visit the AccountingWEB home page  for the latest news and happenings around the profession.
The IRS wants to remind taxpayers who have not yet filed 1998 tax returns that they will be ineligible to claim a refund for 1998 if the tax return is not filed by midnight, April 15, 2002.
Motivating employees is often exhausting and time consuming work. Perhaps the real issue is not tapping into what might drive employees to motivate themselves.
"Mangomind" enables you to access and share files such as Microsoft Office for Windows, accounting software files such as QuickBooks, Peachtree and more with your staff and clients. Instantly access up-to-date documents from your home, remote offices, or that vacation hideaway from a secure, central Internet workspace and share them with multiple people in real time. Eliminate mail delays and improve your overall productivity. Only authorized users can access files. This easy-to-use and affordable solution starts at just $29.95 per month for up to five unique users. AccountingWEB Members can try it Free for 30 days!  You may also call us toll free at 888-886-2646 and mention Code AWEB for your Free 30-Day Trial.
AccountingWEB News Sponsorships 
Each and every week, your company logo and unique URL will be highlighted in the top ten stories on AccountingWEB. You not only get on-line exposure, you will be included as a sponsor of the AccountingWEB Weekly News Wrap-Up or the AccountingWEB Weekly Resource Guide that is currently be delivered via e-mail to over 45,500 professionals across the US and Canada.
According to a recent poll, Chief financial officers (CFOs foresee a slight increase in financial hiring in the second quarter of 2002, according to the just-released Robert Half International Financial Hiring Index. Eighty-six percent of executives anticipate no change in hiring activity.
Hear is straight from customers and analysts, how Oracle E Business Suite offers business process improvements for better information and increased efficiencies. A new Oracle video series provides the inside track to profitability. Get the facts. Watch the video series now! 
On February 28, 2002, the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) released a draft of a revised audit standard on Consideration of Fraud in a Financial Statement Audit. If adopted, this updated standard will replace the current standard with the same name, (Statement on Auditing Standards No. 82).
If you are committed to understanding your clients' and prospects' businesses and separating your firm from its competition, then Industry Profiles are the solution. Arm yourself with the knowledge you need to advise your clients proactively. There are over 130 profiles in the subscription package, and new profiles are being added monthly. Your Firm Subscription includes all new additions, updates and more.
AccountingWEB Members can receive discounts on Firm wide subscriptions. Share the knowledge with your managers, staff and more. Call us today at 317-876-7525 for more details. Download a FREE SAMPLE PROFILE TODAY 
Midway through the 120-day window of opportunity for people to disclose tax shelter transactions, the Internal Revenue Service has taken new steps to protect the right for taxpayers to assert attorney-client and work-product privileges when they voluntarily disclose tax shelter transactions.
The 2002 Forbes' 16th annual world's billionaire ranking is out. In 2001, there were 538 billionaires, and in 2002, that number dropped to just 497. Find out who made the 2002 List!
9. E-mail Management - Part 1 of 2 
The average e-mail user will receive 1,466 unsolicited e- mails this year. Whether it is 1,400 or 14,000, it is this very argument that makes e-mail management such an important topic in today's business world.
10. Book Recommendation: Excel 2000 Answers, By Gail Perry, CPA 
A whole book of Excel 2000 Answers for less than the price of one support call! Get this valuable, reader-friendly book and you'll get hundreds of answers to all of your basic to advanced Excel 2000 questions.
11. From the Archives: Basic Computer Maintenance Tips 
Computers have a way of causing frustration previously unknown in the workplace. Little machines that are supposed to make our lives easier frequently end up making projects more complicated and time-consuming. Before you heave your computer out the window, here are a few simple routine maintenance tips and record keeping ideas to help you and your computer -- and your business -- run faster and smoother.
Here is a sample of the questions that have been posted this week. Check out all the questions below at our Q&A Forum  and see if you can lend a hand.
1. We are a city government that issued bonds at a premium (something we have not done in the past). I cannot find in any of my references how to book these premiums. It would seem to me that I should amortized the premiums as additional interest income over the time of the bonds like you amortized discounts as additional interest expense. There is nothing in the Miller Government GAAP Guide or the GFOA GAAFR that speaks to this. Please help. 
2. A member is designing a one-day course on Human Resource Management for CFOs of Small to Medium Sized Enterprises in a country in transition to a market economy. They are looking for examples of actual job descriptions, postings, evaluation standards for positions in corporate accounting and finance departments (cos. smaller than Fortune 1000) to use as examples. Where can I find these? 
All rights reserved.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."