AccountingWEB Resource Guide - Issue 109
NOTE: If you are trying to access articles on the AccountingWEB site, you may need to log into the site, if you have not already done so in the past few months. If you have forgotten your login information we'll remind you. 
- Corp. Executives Get Help With Security and Privacy Strategy
- SEC Chief Accountant Clarifies Rules on Auditor Independence
- Latest Identity Theft Scam Centers on Fake Loans
- PCAOB Now Accepting Registration Information From Firms
- IRS Announces Application Fee for Offers in Compromise
- Niche SuperConference Takes "Synergy" to New Heights
- ABA Gives Corporate Attorneys Whistleblower Permission
- How to Avoid Online Job Posting Identity Fraud
- Kinder, Gentler IRS Gives Automatic Blackout Extension
- Book Recommendation: Hidden Financial Risk, Understanding Off Balance Sheet Accounting
- Winning Significant Opportunities in Today's Environment
- Essentials of Proper Password Protection
- How to Keep Dishonest Employees Off Your Payroll
- From the Archives: What Makes a Client Change Accountants/Firms?
PolicySoft Accounting Templates can help systematize your
accounting department. Over 200 accounting department policy templates, written in Microsoft Word format by PolicySoft, are available individually or in groups for immediate download.  Download your FREE sample of the Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement Policy  group.
A joint paper released by Canadian Information and Privacy
Commissioner Ann Cavoukian and Deloitte & Touche LLP, provides corporate executives with suggestions for developing strategies for information security and privacy protection.
When the SEC issued rules governing auditor independence last January, it left many questions unanswered. Last week, the SEC's Office of the Chief Accountant issued a series of frequently asked questions that will help auditors follow the intent of the rules.
Financial professionals across the nation have discovered the client service benefits of Industry Profiles from First Research. Just $99 each includes easy and immediate access to the profiles you purchase on the AccountingWEB Site. Find out more today. 
Scammers have a new way of grabbing your identity - and some cold hard cash too. Realistic-looking fake advertisements for financial institutions offering loans are cropping up in newspapers. Victims are finding they are getting more - and less - than they bargained for when they sign up for these loans.
The Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) is now accepting registration information from public accounting firms that plan to continue auditing publicly held companies. Domestic companies have until October 22, 2003 to register, with international firms getting an additional six months.
10. Book Recommendation: Hidden Financial Risk, Understanding Off Balance Sheet Accounting by, J. Edward Ketz 
In Hidden Financial Risk, Ketz thoroughly and accessibly explains the dubious methods by which firms hide debt and the failings by managers, directors, auditors, regulators, and investors who allowed these methods to poison financial reporting. Ketz places particular emphasis on understanding Special Purpose Entities (SPEs), Enron's preferred method of deception. Order your copy today! 
1. Winning Significant Opportunities in Today's Environment 
Recent events in the profession will continue to result in more and larger clients evaluating a potential change in their CPA firm over the next couple of years. Firms that invest in the expertise necessary to win significant opportunities have a once-in-a-lifetime ability to grow their revenue substantially.
2. Essentials of Proper Password Protection 
It may sound surprising, but too many companies still don't live by the seemingly obvious rule that computer security is heavily dependent on a tight password protection system...and that the password system in turn depends on the passwords being kept secret at all times.
The fact that a person has been convicted of fraud does not
mean that he or she will commit fraud in the future. Nor is a perfectly clean record any guarantee of future honesty. The good news: There are warning signs in a job candidate's
background which often indicate the probability of dishonest behavior. You can uncover these signs!
4. From the Archives: What Makes a Client Change Accountants/Firms? 
It's a big decision, changing accountants, one that is not taken lightly by business people. One of the leading business schools conducted a research study into why people changed accountants. Find out what they found!
PREMIUM CONTENT ARCHIVES...View all the Premium Content available to all Premium Subscribers today! 
Expert insight on managing an accounting practice, growing your business, professional development and personal improvement is just a click away for AccountingWEB Premium subscribers.  Access to our growing library of the latest insights, ideas and tools is available for only $49 a year, just $4 a month!
NOTE: If you are trying to access archived materials on the
AccountingWEB site, you may need to log into the site, if you have not already done so in the past few months. If you have forgotten your login information, go to: http://www.accountingweb.com/forgotten_login.html 
2. SEC Names New Chief Accountant 
Click here  for more Hot Topics on AccountingWEB!
The Q&A Forum is a discussion forum only. There will usually be more than one opinion to any question, and any posting should not be viewed as a definitive solution. See some sample questions below. Visit the Q&A Forum and lend a helping hand! 
1. As the new chief financial controller of a medium-sized
manufacturing company you quickly need to get up to date with the company's financial positioning. Explain the process you would work through  and the documents you would review. Also outline which of your new colleagues you would speak with and the kind of questions you would ask them.
2. When you have got parts 1 and 2 of the ATII exam are you
allowed to use  them in any way or put initials behind your name?
3. Does a taxpayer qualify for the new 15% rate for dividends on common stock sold in a forward sale transaction? Where can this answer be located? 
4. Financial Accounting and Management Accounting Department. I would appreciate detailed information  as to how to describe the functions in each of the two Departments.
2003 TAX CALENDAR 
If your company is launching a new product or service, let us help you with marketing. We have over four years of hands-on experience working with an online community of accounting professionals. We'll help steer you in the right direction for the best return on investment. We'd be happy to customize a campaign to suit your needs. Just let us know your goals and your budget and we can customize a solution that fits your needs! Contact us today for more information. 
Your Personal Membership Information - Take a moment today to ensure that we have accurate, up-to-date information in our records. Just go to your Profile Page and login to update your information today! 
Login and Password Information - If you've forgotten your AccountingWEB.com login details , we'll send you a reminder.
Premium Subscriber Information - Expert insight on managing an accounting practice, growing your business, professional development and personal improvement is just a click away for AccountingWEB Premium subscribers. Access to the growing library of the latest insights, ideas and tools is available for only $49 a year, just $4 a month. 
All rights reserved.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."