LinkedIn is a professional networking tool that many people are turning to when searching for a job. People with job experience can use LinkedIn to scour their network and look for connections that go with available jobs, ask for introductions, make contacts, send pertinent data, and set up interviews. If you're a first time job searcher, you might be new to LinkedIn and haven't had a chance to build a strong business network. So now's the time to get started!
Advert Advertise with us
Start by setting up a LinkedIn account - there is no charge for this - and entering your own resume information in LinkedIn. Your resume might be limited to your education and some part-time jobs, maybe an internship or two. That doesn't mean you can't make the most of what you've got to offer. Here are some tips for enhancing your LinkedIn profile, even if your information seems sparse:
· Update your profile by adding information about job experiences - not just the names of jobs you have held and the companies where you have worked, but descriptive information about what type of work you did, things you accomplished, promotions you received, and skills you acquired.
· Add information about your education. Don't stop with your school and when you graduated, but list courses in which you excelled and specialized training you acquired, include groups and organizations you belonged to, and activities and teams in which you participated.
· Add any honors and awards you have received.
· Add connections to your network by searching for people with whom you have worked, professors and other associates from school, personal acquaintances who might be able to recommend you. Also search for people whom you know who are connected to people at potential employers that interest you.
· Ask members of your network to post recommendations for you on LinkedIn.
· Use the Jobs section of LinkedIn to search for jobs in your area(s) of expertise.
· Join some groups and participate by joining discussions, answering questions, asking if there are ways you can help promote the group.
· Make recommendations of people you know.
· Send messages commenting on issues of mutual interest to your contacts.
· Check back frequently to see updates, add to your own descriptive information, change your status, respond to inquiries, find more contacts, and so on.
· Participate in the Answers forum on LinkedIn, asking questions and posting answers.
· Mention in your status that you are actively looking for a job.
· Search for people with skills like yours, and then see where they work. Consider making inquiries about job availabilities.
Also here are some links to additional information about using LinkedIn to find jobs: