By Terri Eyden
The Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) has announced the colleges and universities that will be participating in the PCAOB's scholarship program for the 2012â2013 academic year. This is the second year the board has granted scholarships.
Forty-three merit-based scholarships of $10,000 each are to be awarded by the PCAOB.
"I am pleased that this scholarship program allows the PCAOB and the academic community to work together to encourage the best and the brightest students to choose auditing as a career path", said PCAOB Chairman James R. Doty.
The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 provides that funds generated from the collection of monetary penalties imposed by the PCAOB are to be used to fund a merit scholarship program for students in accredited accounting degree programs. The PCAOB Scholarship Program was created to identify eligible students for scholarships and award funds through the students' educational institutions.
Students who are enrolled in an accounting degree program at an accredited participating, nominating institution are eligible for a PCAOB scholarship. Students of a PCAOB employee or a child or spouse of a PCAOB employee, however, are not eligible.
To qualify, students must:
- Be enrolled in a bachelor's or master's degree program in accounting.
- Demonstrate interest and aptitude in accounting and auditing.
- Demonstrate high ethical standards.
While the PCAOB scholarship program is merit-based, educational institutions are encouraged to give consideration to students from populations that have been historically underrepresented in the accounting profession.
The Forty-Three 2012â2013 Academic Year Scholarship Recipient Academic Institutions:
- Arizona State University
- Auburn University
- Bentley University
- Bowling Green State University
- Colorado Technical University
- DeVry University-Midtown Manhattan
- Fairleigh Dickinson University-Fordham
- Florida International University
- Gonzaga University
- Grand Valley State University
- Illinois State University
- James Madison University
- McNeese State University
- Miami University-Oxford
- Northeastern University
- Ohio State University
- Rider University
- Rutgers University-Newark
- Saint John's University
- Saint Leo University
- San Diego State University
- Southern Methodist University
- SUNY at Albany
- Texas A and M University
- Universidad Metropolitana
- University of Houston
- University of Kansas
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst
- University of Minnesota-Duluth
- University of Missouri-Kansas City
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- University of Phoenix
- University of South Florida
- University of Southern Indiana
- University of Tennessee-Knoxville
- University of Toledo
- University of Washington
- University of Wisconsin-Superior
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
- Villanova University
- Wake Forest University
- Winona State University
You can find a description of the PCAOB scholarship program, along with information on the nomination process, the selection of nominating institutions, and other program details on the PCAOB website.