When you’re too busy to leave your desk for meals, your health can suffer. It’s not just the stress of working long hours, either. The food you are eating may actually be contributing to the problem.
So before the munchies or the need to burn the midnight oil strikes consider stocking your desk or office with healthy snacks like:
- Trail mix, granola, and/or dried fruits and nuts
- High fiber, low sugar cereal (the travel size boxes are also a great way to limit the size of your snack if you’re trying to maintain or lose weight)
- High fiber, low fat crackers and natural peanut butter
- Cans of lower fat and lower sodium soup or packets of instant noodles
- Tuna salad kit
- Packets of instant oatmeal and hot chocolate, especially the low sugar/calorie varieties.
- Packages of low-sodium microwave popcorn
If your office has a refrigerator or you can bring in a cooler, add low-fat yogurt; fresh fruits and veggies; low-fat cottage cheese; rolls or bagels; cheese; and perhaps ,even a frozen meal or leftovers from home. You should also be sure to drink plenty of water everyday. Other good alternative to coffee and sodas are low-fat milk, fruit juices and sparkling water.
When people eat at their desks they are more prone to eat fast and furiously, not really paying attention to what or how much they are eating. Having healthy snacks, packaged in healthy-sized portions, is only part of the solutions. If possible take a few minutes to clear your mind, and your desk, when you eat. Not only will you feel better, but it will minimize the chances of getting crumbs in your keyboard!