One financial concern often overlooked during the holiday season is the process of thanking those who support your efforts throughout the year.
We're not talking about your own staff, but service professionals like mailmen/women, the parking garage attendant and even the maintenance man - all of these people deserve your thanks, but how much should you give them as a present?
The decision is your own, of course, and totals depend on how close you are to each one of these people. Here are some tips for tipping from etiquette expert Letitia Baldridge:
- Deliveries: $10.00 each, for the person who delivers the newspaper, laundry or mail, but keep in mind that mail carriers generally are not allowed to accept cash gifts $20.00 and over.
- $25.00 for a hairdresser or barber.
- $25.00 to a parking attendant.
- $50.00 for the person who runs the garage you usually use, and $50.00 for a doorman.
- Someone who works on an average of once a week, such as a cleaning person or maid, should receive one day's pay. Others who work five days a week, such as a nanny, should get two to four weeks pay plus a gift.