How does an accounting firm keep up with the times? Descriptions of the accounting industry often produce terms like down to earth, levelheaded, studious, etc. Face it, "fun" isn’t exactly the first term that comes to mind. However, in today’s job market, fun is a valuable feature to offer. More and more companies are offering a “fun” environment and employees are coming to expect a feel good, happy place when they settle into their chairs for the long day of work ahead.
The technology industry has done a lot of the creative work when it comes to figuring out what employees, especially younger employees, like to find when they go to work. Today's new-hires want to know their state of mind is valued as much as their work, and companies that provide employees the opportunity to clear out the cobwebs are scoring points.
Are you concerned that creating a playground environment will cease production? Not so say the experts. In fact, production can go up when an employee is given free rein to blow off some steam. However, not all companies are created equal and you’ll have to figure out what fits best for you culturally as well as budget-wise. Inc. Magazine offers some interesting options that can provide a happy workplace without eating up too much cost or distracting employees from doing their job.
- Close the office once a quarter and go out to a matinee
- Offer flexible schedules
- Institute a casual dress code
- Provide an option for occasionally working at home
- Share perks that you regularly provide to clients and customers
- Offer incentives, including prizes for the employee's entire family, for reaching goals
- Provide monthly in-house luncheons
- Create a holiday that is just for your company - you can celebrate the day right at the office in some offbeat manner
- Encourage employees to participate in community-service activities by allowing such participation during office time
- Offer promotion and pay advancement opportunities