Day 10: Power napping boosts energy
Some say that power napping is the key to success. Many businesses have recognized the tremendous payback to their employees when time is allowed for Power Napping. You too can run and run like the Energizer Bunny!
If you want to be able to go and go and get the job done.... you really need to stop and rest. Busy people often find that taking twenty minutes to a half-hour rest during a busy day will provide them with three or more productive hours to accomplish their goals and objectives. Take off for a 15- to 20-minute nap. Set a timer so you can relax without worry.
Wired magazine offers these tips for successful power napping:
- A survey by the National Sleep Foundation found that about 30 percent of people are allowed to sleep at work, and some employers even provide a place for employees to nap. If your place of employment isn't nap-friendly, consider taking a power-nap in your car.
- Have caffeine right before you nap. This may sound counterintuitive since caffeine is a drug and a stimulant, but it won't kick in immediately. Caffeine has to travel through your gastro-intestinal tract, such that it can take up to 45 minutes to be absorbed. Taking a caffeine nap in which 200mg of caffeine are consumed right before a 20-minute nap will not only improve your performance, but it'll also lessen how sleepy you feel once you wake up.
- Set an alarm to go off in 15-20 minutes.
- Close the door, post a do-not-disturb sign, turn off the phone volume - shut out the business world for the duration of your nap.
- Get up as soon as the alarm goes off. Sleeping for any longer than 20 minutes will be counterproductive.
- Follow the nap with brief physical activity.
Interestingly, busy people who schedule time to relax tend to experience enhanced clarity, memory and inner calm, and express greater pleasure in their jobs.
TradersInspiration.com reports that power napping can improve learning, memory skills, analytical skills, and can provide an energy boost.
See the complete library of Workplace Fitness exercises.