There is not one among us who would not benefit from using Excel more effectively. When you discover helpful features (that were always there!) you can save significant time. Do you use the Table and Form features to easily sift through large data sets? Do you know the keyboard shortcuts that help you blaze through your work? Do you avoid wrecking formulas by using the Edit versus Enter modes appropriately?
Think you already know all the tricks? Here's a short quiz (don't peek at the answers below!)...
1. Which Paste Special option allows you to flip data from rows to columns (or vice versa)?
A. Skip blanks
D. Values and Number Formats
2. Which keystroke allows you to evaluate a portion of a formula?
3. Which number informs the SUBTOTAL worksheet function that you wish to sum a range?
4. Which feature allows you to store a user-defined list of items that you can use in any workbook?
A. Pivot Table
B. Data Validation
C. Custom Lists
5. What character can you use in lieu of the CONCATENATE worksheet function?
Answers: 1B, 2C, 3D, 4C, 5C
How did you do? Good I hope. Adding a few Excel tricks to your repetoire can improve the quality and speed of your spreadsheet work.
For dozens of tricks that can help you fly through Excel every day, check out this free Excel Speed Tips course (2 CPE hrs) from spreadsheet expert, David Ringstrom, CPA.