Hello, its me again! Yes, I am back after the big move from Minnesota to Virginia. It has been a whirlwind of change (physically, emotionally and mentally). Everything is different. I mean everything.
Overall, I would say my family and I are adapting and adjusting quite well.
With that said, as I settle into my new position and role, I have been thinking about what to do with this blog. How should I move forward? What should I write about? Should I continue to do what I have been doing or should I write about something else?
Well, my focus from the beginning was to provide state and local tax updates on developments that had broad impact. However, my real purpose was and remains, to establish connections with CFOs, Controllers, Tax Directors, and other tax professionals. Over the last three years, I have established a number of new connections and relationships. I am really thankful for that.
Now that I work for a larger firm with national resources, it doesn't feel right for me to spend my time writing about national developments. Maybe that's because right now, I don't have much free time to do so. I am trying to focus on my new role and responsibilities so I will be successful.
For the time being (while I figure out what to write about), I thought I would tell you what I have been working on.
I have been:
- helping companies figure out business vs. nonbusiness income positions across multiple states.
- helping federal consolidated groups operating a unitary business determine how they should file state returns (combined, consolidated, etc.).
- reviewing apportionment factors and workpapers to make sure companies are capturing the right information and achieving the most beneficial (legally possible) result
- helping companies resolve past filing omissions and other notices
- conducting research and preparing documentation related to combined reporting and sourcing of foreign income, effectively connected and noneffectively connected income
What have you been working on?