On February 15, I posted 3/7. It's a month later. The blog title? We are kind of 5/7 of the way through this busy season. Time for an update of things on my mind:
- I'm very proud of our team at my Firm. There is some occasional crankiness, but everyone is working with each other to get a mountain of work done. Thanks everyone.
- Too many of my recent posts have had a negative tinge to them.
- On the other hand, I still really like my post called Process: It Is All About The Rubber Duckie.
- The inscription on the Statue of Liberty, Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, keeps running through my head.
- A month ago I hadn't issued a single tax return. I'm happy to not report that today.
- A good friend of mine works at a CPA firm one floor below us in our building. Since they have lots of chocolate, I went to talk to him for a few minutes about 7:30 pm yesterday. We got into a discussion on audit documentation and checklists. I heard myself say something like how the amount of time I spend on the checklists for an audit is almost identical regardless of it the company had 5 transactions or had 500,000 transactions. That just isn't right.
- My wife has a bad head cold. I hope she feels better soon. I also hope I don't get it. I slept on the couch last night to avoid exposure.
- Clients who told me in January they didn't need an audit this year are somewhat surprised that when they call me on March 8 and say they do need it that I can't drop everything for them right then and there.
- I try to give everyone great service, but clients that complain about the fee and pay invoices slowly somehow don't wind up at the priority level they think they deserve.
- All of my major year-end audits have started. That is a really good feeling.
- I've written before how I'm disappointed that neither of my kids will consider accounting for a profession. They see what I go through for 3 1/2 months and say no way.
- New York Bagel makes the best bagels in Detroit. The link is to the one by my house.
Ok, so nothing earth shattering.
Good luck to everyone in making it through the next 34 days until April 18.