How to Disable Worksheet Animation in Excel 2013

Spreadsheets and graphs on a desk
xfgiro/istock

UPDATE/CORRECTION: A previous version of this article was written based on the beta version of Excel 2013. At that time enabling the Disable Hardware Acceleration setting within the Advanced section of Excel’s Options would turn off the animation, but the technique no longer works. Thank you to all of the commenters that weighed in with corrections to this article while the previous version was online. Please refer to the end of the post for the update on how to disable the worksheet animation in Excel.

Excel 2013 has arrived, and for the most part, it's much like Excel 2007 and 2010, but with some spiffy new features, such as Recommended Charts and Pivot Tables, Flash Fill, Quick Analysis, Power View, and more. I'll be exploring these features in upcoming articles, but first I want to show how you can disable the eye candy if you choose.

By comparison, worksheets in Excel 2010 and earlier were rather staid. You pressed Enter, and the cursor dropped to the next row with aplomb. In Excel 2013, the cursor wants to make sure that you realize it's moving to the next row, so it swoops its way there. When you change a formula, numbers flip like in a slot machine before settling into place. Click a few cells to the right, and the cursor visually whooshes into position.

These features are probably helpful to a new generation that's never experienced a spreadsheet before, but it borders on seizure inducing for long-time spreadsheet users. Fortunately, there's a simple fix to tone down the animation in Excel 2013.

Please Login or Register to read the full article

To access all of the content on our site, register (it's free!) or login to your existing account.

Replies

Please login or register to join the discussion.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Living in the past, I see. ;-) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

By MDJF
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
This worked for me and it makes 2013 so much easier to deal with.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I'm so glad I could help! That animation drove me batty after about 5 minutes when I first started using Excel 2013.

By Julie Dudley
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank you SO much I thought I was going to go insane....

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

My pleasure. That was the *first* thing I had to figure out in Excel 2013.

By Nath
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thanks a lot !! I followed exactly your explanations and it's really better now :-) These animations were really uncomfortable to me, thanks again

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, to me Excel 2013 is pretty much unusable with those animations in place. To me they border on seizure-inducing.

By FJ

Works for me.
<rant>
Hate the ribbon and dull themes and stupid animations in Office2013 and the constant dumbing down of MS products for noddy home users. What about the old-style Power Users - those of us who have used Office since before Office95 or the far superior Lotus123 and AmiPro - or the DOS versions? Even the DOS version of WordPerfect? (My wife still swears by it as the best wp she's ever used.)
</rant>

BTW - can the trolls go somewhere else please? Everone except M$ agrees that the Office 2013 GUI is crap. MS are notorious for changing (read "breaking") things in SPs, patches and updates. The guy is trying to help so saying things like, "this is shamefully wrong..." is way OTT. It's a blatant "I know more than you, so there!" 5 year-old attitude. Please - do grow up! if you can't say anything in a decent tone, then please - don't say anything or go say it somewhere else.

Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Thanks, FJ! In fairness to the early comments, the initial version this article was written for the beta version of Excel 2013. The final version required a different technique, and it took me several months to get around to updating my article for the final version. So I earned the early criticism. In any case, I'm glad you found my article helpful. And I hear ya on WordPerfect. I was never in that camp back in the day, but it definitely was the perfect solution for a lot of folks. The cryptic codes in WP didn't fit my way of thinking. Office 2016 will be arriving later this year, so who knows what new "features" Microsoft will release on us.

By jay
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Thanks for the useful information! Much easier to use without the animations!

Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Absolutely. Maybe it's a helpful feature for beginners, but it drives long-term Excel users batty. It was definitely the first thing I had to change in Excel 2013 back when it arrived on the scene.

By Moe
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

I fixed the problem by signing out of my account (not very helpful to those relying on OneDrive). Initially I tried to change the background color and scheme but my selections would automatically revert to what I had it before, by the time I got back to the editing screens.

Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Thanks for sharing your experience!

By Ewa

Thank YOU !!!!

Jun 26th 2015 01:12

I appreciate the feedback! It's definitely a relief get the animation turned off.

By Jeff OsierMixon

THANK YOU!

I'm happy I could help!

By Tmdean
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

I like the new animations, except how the keyboard shortcuts slowly paint in while you're typing in a command to execute via keyboard. E.g. if you type Alt+H,I,C to insert a column, after the Alt+H, the shortcut keys slowly paint in to the Home ribbon before it will process the next part of the command.

This makes commands that used to be instantaneous take 1-2 seconds. That's pretty infuriating for a keyboard heavy user. Disabling the animations doesn't fix this.

I'd recommend setting the registry DWORD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Graphics\DisableAnimations to 1 instead of going through the Ease of Access center. Changing the setting in Ease of Access will affect the OS and all the software on your computer. It's a global solution to a local problem.

Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Thanks for the great addition to my article. For me, I *want* disable all animations everywhere in the OS, but it's great to have a targeted solution for those that want it.

By Joe
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Appreciate the update to this article but for ease of use, the non-relevant content should be removed as it is confusing to read directions, only to be told they no longer work. Instead, only the current methodology to correct this seizure inducing animations should be shown.

Jun 26th 2015 01:12

I appreciate your frustration, but there's an editorial reason why the article is the way it is. Apparently removing the old text is detrimental to search engine optimization. It's actually a bit poetic to have such a jangled up article explaining how to fix the jangled up animation in Excel. :-) Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

By Service Desk Specialist
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

This worked for my client! (ease of access...)
Thank you! :)

Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Fabulous! Thank you for sharing your experience!

By Rohit Sankhe
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Just create a new text file, open in notepad and paste the text below. Rename the file as .reg. Open the file and merge it in the exiting registry.

---------------------------- text below -------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Graphics]
"DisableAnimations"=dword:00000001

Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Thanks for the great addition to my article, Rohit. Not everyone is comfortable working in the registry, but this is great information for those that are.

By CK
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

"shamefully wrong"??? "did not perform"???? what gives YOU the right to demand ANYTHING?

Mr Ringstrom, thanks a lot for all these very helpful tips.

Jun 26th 2015 01:12

CK, your thoughts made my day. Thank you for having my back.

By Kumar
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Worked for me :) (Ease of access). Thanks so much! Using keyboard shortcuts (which I rely very heavily on) was becoming so tedious with the animations.

Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Thank you for sharing your experience! The animation was one of the first things I had to figure out how to eliminate when I started using Excel 2013 when it first came out.

By dex

thanks a lot !

Oct 30th 2015 20:49

For reasons that escape me, Excel 2013 started exhibiting cursor-swoop in the past day or 3. Maddening does not even *begin* to describe its effect.

I'd tried disabling the hardware graphics acceleration and creating the recommend DisableAnimations key in the Registry. Nuthin'.

Happily, I found this article. The cursor now goes where I place it, without tarrying between cells.

Many thanks.

Dec 18th 2015 18:18

Thanks so much for the instructions. This feature of Office 2013 was driving me crazy, especially since I am still recovering from a subdural hematoma and it was making the headache worse. Your comment about seizure inducing was spot on.

Pages