How to Reinstall Microsoft Office When You Don't Have a Disc or Download

struggletech_shapecharge.jpg

struggletech
shapecharge/iStock

From time to time, you may need to reinstall Microsoft Office because you purchased a new computer or you're trying to resolve a program error. Or, in Excel 2010 and later, you may need to move between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. In this article, I'll describe how to download the installation files on demand as well as recover a lost product key for Office.

The instructions that follow are specific to Excel 2007 and later. (I was unable to determine how to download Excel 2003 and earlier from the Microsoft website.) Links are all current as of the date of this article (October 31, 2013), but they are subject to change without notice.

Please Login or Register to read the full article

To access all of the content on our site, register (it's free!) or login to your existing account.

Replies

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By Me
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I've tried this. It only gives a 30-day trial. Now that the 30 days is over, now what? I am using my laptop that has no CD drive, plus I don't know my product key.

By Monay
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Hi! I had to reboot my computer and I wanted to know how can I re install Office without the product key. The first time I rebooted I didn't need the code.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Based upon your description purchasing a subscription for Office 365 is probably your path of least resistance.

By wiegmale
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I read on Microsoft's website that if you downloaded online office 2013 that there is no longer a product key associated with that version of office. Are you still able to reinstall?

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

What you may have read about is a version of Excel that is made available by way of the Office 365 subscription. This runs $99/year, and entitles you to use both the web-based version of Excel (less functional than the desktop version), as well as install the desktop version on up to 5 computers. It's in this instance that you won't get a product key, but instead will have to log in to Excel by way of your Microsoft account. You can still purchase "shrink-wrapped" versions of Office that have a product key, but Microsoft is doing its best to move us all to subscribing to its software. It's just proceeding at a glacial pace.

By Lynn Dye
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I recently purchased and downloaded 2 licenses for Microsoft Office 2013. I purchased these using my Microsoft Account. When I did this, I received via email the license keys to both products. So Yes, you DO get a license key for Office 2013. If you purchase Office 365 Home Premium, that product does NOT have a license key associated with it. Instead, you activate it by logging into your Microsoft account after the software is downloaded and installed. This is the product where you are allowed to install it on up to 5 devices and renews annually for $99. The Microsoft Office 2013 is a one-time purchase and costs more, but does not have to be renewed. Hope that helps to clarify.

By Aishwarya
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I have product key with me I wanted to install MS office in my new computer and uninstall from my old computer.Will this work??

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Yes, that should work. You possibly could run into a snag when you activate the software on your new computer, but assuming you've only installed it on a single computer thus far, it should go without issue. My understanding is it's possible to reach a Microsoft representative on the phone to resolve any activation issues.

By Lynn Dye
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

It depends what version of Office you're trying to install. It's my understanding that starting with 2013, you can install it on ONE computer only. Even if you reformat that ONE computer and try to reinstall it, you won't be able to. A call to Microsoft may help, probably depending on the tech you talk to.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Lynn, Microsoft did try the Draconian one-computer period licensing with Office 2013, but rather quickly capitulated. The licensing is still for one computer, but you can uninstall from one and reinstall on another now. Thank you for your great contributions to this thread! David

By Fernando Santiago
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank you, you saved my hide. I had lost the package of the disk with the product key but the disk was in my CD-ROM drive. I do not need the key now but feared to need it in a future occasion. Produkey helped me in about 2 minutes.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm glad that you found my article helpful.

By Manuel
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Definitely helpful. I had lost my product key and spent an hour on the phone with Microsoft. They kept telling me that I need to either buy a new version of Office or buy a support option for $99.99 to obtain a new product key... neither am I willing to do. Their argument was that it was my responsibility. that MS's own website states that it is no problem and a new key can be issued at any time (http://office.microsoft.com/en... is obviously just a customer lure and has no factual truth to it.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thanks, Manuel! I can appreciate your frustration with the phone support option, and I'm glad you were able to prevail and recover your product key.

By Rob Sessions
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I have my disc, but not the product key. What can I do?

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Assuming you still have Office installed on an existing computer, you can use one of the tools I noted in the final paragraph to extract the product key. If all you have is a disk but no installed version of Office anywhere then your only recourse is to purchase a new software license.

By Rob Sessions
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I have it installed, but it won't let me open it

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Google the error that you're receiving to see what others have experienced in this situation. Also try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Good luck!

By Rob Sessions
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Won't I need the product key when I reinstall?

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

There's a disconnect here. If you have the software installed, but can't open it, you should able to use a tool described in the article to extract the product key. My final word here is either extract your product key as described in the article, or purchase a new license for Microsoft Office. I'm simply unable to offer you any other alternatives.

By Rob Sessions
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I have it installed, but I keep getting a message that it is unable to open it

By A
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank is the URL that it takes me to when i click on your link 'page' for MS Office 2013. Knowing that the URL does not end in "microsoft.com" makes this whole thing look fishy. Great way to grab working product keys looks like, and then sell em off.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I agree that you can't be too careful on the Internet, but if you do a domain look-up, such as http://whois.domaintools.com/g... you'll find that the site is indeed owned by Microsoft. I'm sure that Microsoft considers the odds of someone guessing at product keys to gain entry to the download area to be remote at best.

By Eric
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I looked at Produkey, Belarc, and Magical; none supported Office for Mac 2011. Do you know of any other way to find out one's product key? My box is back home in the States and I won't be able to access it for some time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eric,

I"m afraid that I don't have any information on product keys for Mac. The path of least resistance for you may be to sign up for a $100/year subscription to www.office365.com, which will give you a license to run Office on your Mac.

David

By Confused
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I have 2 computers. One is a Lenovo which has the Microsoft Office on it. I checked like you said to get my product key because someone bought me the computer, but was not able to see it. Unless it comes in the Windows 8 packaging because I saw the product key for my Windows 8. Now my other computer is an hp and it's saying I need to purchase Microsoft Office. Isn't there a way to share my Office from the Lenovo to the hp?

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

If you have Excel 2013, you must either purchase an additional license or subscribe to www.office365.com. The licensing for Excel 2010 does permit installing the software on two computers. I can't recall what Excel 2007 and earlier permit. Office 365 allows you to install Excel 2013 on up to 5 computers for $99/year.

By Fatima Khan
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I THOUGHT I HAD LOST MY PRODUCT KEY :)

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I'm so glad you found my article helpful!

By Kris
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Is there a download for Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac? I have my product keys, but the disc keeps ejecting and I can't afford to fix nor purchase a newer version. 'Softonic' has versions to download, it says, but I'm adverse to downloading for free from sites I'm not familiar with for something I paid for. Any help would be appreciated!

Kris,

I'm sorry that I just noticed your comment today. During my research I didn't find any sites to download the 2008 version. There probably isn't any legitimate source for that version, so I would say your best option would be to purchase the 2011 version, or perhaps subscribe to Office 365 for a period of time. My expectation is that a 2015 version of Excel for Mac is likely on the horizon, but that's purely supposition on my part.

David

By Tom Hodapp
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank you so much. All I had were discs for an upgrade and that wasn't allowing me to install. You completely removed what could have been very frustrating!

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Tom, thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, it's definitely painful when you can't find the proper disc.

By Shaney
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank you, this is extremely helpful, I must say! Spent hours on Microsoft website, found some high tech response with no luck onto getting the 2007 installer (as my laptop does not have a dvd driver). almost gave up and thinking of just buying another license! Bless you and keep up the sharing!

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thanks, Shaney! I know full well how frustrating it can be to try to unearth solutions on the Microsoft web site. I'm glad I could be of assistance!

By aline
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

It is really a great help for me to have searched this site that I was informed of the things I need to learn. Thank you for providing us this information...

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

You're quite welcome. I'm glad to hear you found my work helpful!

By rylee
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Does this only work with Excel??? if so how can I get the full package installed if I do have my product key for 2007 home premium??

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Home Premium sounds like a Windows version. The technique I describe works for Microsoft Office, which includes Excel. I may be misunderstanding your post, but it sounds like the product key you found is for Windows, and not Office.

By Jeanne Logan
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I already installed everything for Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 except MS Access. After I went to Control Panel and selected change to be able to use MS Access, it wants the product key. I cannot find the key, but why do I need one, since I am just trying to use a feature on a product that I have already purchased and activated? Any suggestion?

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Microsoft Access isn't part of Office Home and Business 2010, so you'll need a separate product key/license in order to be able to use Microsoft Access. Microsoft's packaging of their products is often bewildering at best. You can purchase a license for just Access alone, so you don't have to purchase the whole suite again.

By Adawiah
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

My microsoft 2013 hangs even before i was able to enter my product key, so what am i supposed to do now? i dont have the disc as well.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Uninstall the present version from your computer and since you have a product key, use the instructions in the article to download the installation files again.

By TVG
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I'll soon give this a try. I moved and can't find my product key, and Windows has not run for at least three months now. I'm running Linux alongside Windows 7 on a Lenovo ThinkPad, and that works just fine, so I haven't bothered with the Windows/Office recovery until now.

If your Windows won't run at all -- don't get me started on that mess! -- you can probably obtain the product keys from the C:\\Windows\System32\config folder by copying that folder using a live Linux distro run from USB/CD/DVD, or from another partition if you are dual booted as my ThinkPad is. I had no trouble getting my files off the Windows partition. If you can't boot from a USB or DVD drive using Linux, you'll have to look at your BIOS settings or put your Windows disk drive into another machine.

I'll run ProduKey on my old laptop that has Windows. Let's hope it works...

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thanks for adding the Linux details to my article, TVG! I'm sure this will be helpful to others in the future. I hope you're able to recover your product key.

By Catherine Asaro
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I tried using Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder for my Mac, but it didn't give me the product key for Office 2011. Is there any program that will work for a MacBook Pro that can retrieve 2011 keys? Most of the programs are for PCs and don't work on a Mac.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I'm afraid I'm not aware of any other such applications that work on the Mac, but hopefully another reader will weigh in with an alternative. As noted in my article, when all else fails the only alternative is to procure another Excel license.

By telodd james
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

you can buy a cheap but genuine office mac 2011 on getsoftwarekey com ,it is working good on my macbook, they provide me both .DMG file download link and the product key

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thanks for the great contribution to my article. That site definitely offers another option for users that can't locate their product key.

By brenda
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

i had to reboot my pc to factory setting due to a "no operating system found" error, which erased my office 2010 that i had downloaded. i cannot find my product code or email, can anyone please tell me what to do?

Pages