How to Disable Worksheet Animation in Excel 2013

Spreadsheets and graphs on a desk
xfgiro/istock

UPDATE/CORRECTION: A previous version of this article was written based on the beta version of Excel 2013. At that time enabling the Disable Hardware Acceleration setting within the Advanced section of Excel’s Options would turn off the animation, but the technique no longer works. Thank you to all of the commenters that weighed in with corrections to this article while the previous version was online. Please refer to the end of the post for the update on how to disable the worksheet animation in Excel.

Excel 2013 has arrived, and for the most part, it's much like Excel 2007 and 2010, but with some spiffy new features, such as Recommended Charts and Pivot Tables, Flash Fill, Quick Analysis, Power View, and more. I'll be exploring these features in upcoming articles, but first I want to show how you can disable the eye candy if you choose.

By comparison, worksheets in Excel 2010 and earlier were rather staid. You pressed Enter, and the cursor dropped to the next row with aplomb. In Excel 2013, the cursor wants to make sure that you realize it's moving to the next row, so it swoops its way there. When you change a formula, numbers flip like in a slot machine before settling into place. Click a few cells to the right, and the cursor visually whooshes into position.

These features are probably helpful to a new generation that's never experienced a spreadsheet before, but it borders on seizure inducing for long-time spreadsheet users. Fortunately, there's a simple fix to tone down the animation in Excel 2013.

Please Login or Register to read the full article

To access all of the content on our site, register (it's free!) or login to your existing account.

Replies

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By Keri
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I've taken both of these steps, but the swooshing slot machine remains. Is there any other setting that might turn off these effects?

restricted wife
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Keri, the changes might not take affect until you close and reopen Excel. This worked for me in both the "preview" and final versions of Excel 2013. I've not found any other means for controlling the animation.

By Kevin Chuang
David Ringstrom
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Here's a way to turn off animation for Office 2013.

1.Open the Ease of Access Center by pressing the Windows logo key + U.

2.Under Explore all settings, click Use the computer without a display.

3.Under Adjust time limits and flashing visuals, click Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible).

4.Click OK."

By searchengineman
Eric Meury
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I almost went mad with the animation of the cells. Thanks for your solution. I have to stare at excel all day. Now they're gone.

By FeliXinside
David Ringstrom

Hey David.
We have an Excel file with lots of formulas that does a PDF Report and opens it up automatically in PRINT PREVIEW.
In Excel 2003, 2007 and 2010 the print preview works fine.
But in Excel 2013, the print preview opens but the scroll doesn't work. It works all funny with lag or you have to click on each page to be able to show it.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Try this technique instead: http://www.accountingweb.com/a...

By FeliXinside
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thanks mate. I think I tried that already but I'll let you know tomorrow when I'm at work.

By FeliXinside
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Hey David. I tested it and that actually fixed the issue, thanks.
My question now, is there a way to make Excel 2013 default to this old classic print preview view?
Again, thanks for the help.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Not by way of the File menu (as far as I know), but you could add an icon to the Excel 2013 ribbon that would make it easier. Also, when you add the icon to the Quick Access toolbar it gains a keyboard shortcut, as noted, so a little retraining and you won't need the File menu based preview.

By Guest

By Conor
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I have checked the Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration box, but am still getting the animation when moving around the workbook. any ideas?

Liz Ritchie Burford
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Conor, the technique worked for me with both the beta and live versions. Unfortunately there's no other setting I'm aware of. Try closing and reopening Excel after you update the setting.

By Philipp
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

that used to work ... but it doesn't work anymore ... please help and mail me austrian at mail dot com.

By Ryan
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Changing this setting DOES NOT work in disabling the animation (cell selection and calculations) Office 2013.

By Ryan
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Saw this work-around on another web page. http://blog.jussipalo.com/2012...

By Paul
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Press Windows Key and U for Ease of Access Center. Go to "Use computer without a display" (?? yes, I know ??) and check the box "Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible)". This worked for me after I had already disabled graphics acceleration. Don't know if it works without having to disable acceleration.

By RobB
robert

Hi Paul
Your method worked when the original suggestion didn't. Thanks! I wonder what other animations it will affect ....

By kindlin
robert
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

The article's solution was not even an option for me, but this worked perfectly. TY!

By C
robert
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I LOVE YOU!!!!! It WORKED!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
I have been trying so hard to turn off the "1930's cash register flip" for 3 weeks now!

By cp
robert
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank you SO much for this! The animations were making me dizzy, which is not a good thing being that my work primarily revolves around Excel. Funny that this little trick alone made my day 200% better.

By Fred
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I needed to *also* do this: from Control Panel, Adjust Visual Effects, turn off Animate Control Elements inside Windows. http://www.excel-powerpivot-ti...

By MegaBeast
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

This article is shamefully wrong. The author did not perform their due dilligence. The correct answre is here.

bramweller
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, but please bear in mind that Microsoft subsequently made changes to Excel 2013 by way of patches that made the above solution no longer work. The solution did indeed work during the Preview and initial release of Excel 2013 when this article was first written. Regardless, I appreciate you improving my article by reporting a permanent solution, and I'll soon revise this article to reflect your alternative once I have a chance to research it further.

By nside
rkoreto
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Maybe update or take down the post so other don't waste their time?

By Caleb Newquist
dringstrom
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

We've updated the post to reflect the updates. As a matter of policy, we don't remove posts.

By Caleb Newquist
bramweller
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

As David pointed out, it was correct prior to the patches being issued. We've updated the article with the latest info.

By googlin
bramweller

troll

By Mark
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank you, this really helps!

By Don Wiid
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Managed to switch off the animations - thanks for posting. As a 25 year veteran using spreadsheets, I like to move quickly down columns or across rows. One left-over effect of the animations is that the cursor is now still slowed up... there is a noticeable lag when you move down or across.

Anyone figured out a way to disable this lag as well? (And yes, I have set my keyboard repeat rate to the shortest it will go).

Brittany J
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

My approach has been to stay with Excel 2010. There's much that I do like about Excel 2013, but many things I abhor as well. The eye-candy aspects of Excel 2013 are a disservice to serious spreadsheet users.

By Gordon Goldsborough
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

This article was extremely helpful to me. I hated the new animation and stark-white color scheme. Thanks for showing me how to discard this worthless eye candy.

minh
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thanks for your feedback! I'm not sure who signed off on those aspects of Excel 2013, but I'm glad they can be disabled.

By Sulkan Faizin

thanks very helpfull

By opinionatedmoderate
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thanks, David. I got Office2013 today (8-Jan-13) and your solution worked perfectly.

By MDR
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

This is completely wrong. Go here:

By James

Thank you!

By ejohnson
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Everybody, Paul's solution has worked for our office.

By Funky Monks
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Yikes, the "Hardware Acceleration" tip is completely wrong!

That option doesn't disable animations, it just changes where the animations are rendered, via the GPU or the CPU. They are still displayed.

Please remove or correct this post so you don't continue to distribute bad information!

By Caleb Newquist
anabrown
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Post has been updated. Thanks for your concern.

By Goldenspire
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I found this very helpful. The cursor is moving faster and got rid of the design on the top. Thank you!!!

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I'm glad that you found my article helpful! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

By Giuseppe
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank you so much for this tip!!! I was almost going back to windows 7 and office 2007!!! It saved me a lot of time!!!

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Fabulous! The animation might be helpful to someone brand new to Excel, but it's mostly maddening for anyone that has significant experience with spreadsheets.

By CatLady
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I've tried most of these fixes but none have fixed the animation when using "find" between worksheets??

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate a little, and I'll see if I can replicate what you're experiencing?

By Weitu
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

This was a great fix. Like most people who have used Excel, the animation was annoying. The updated fix worked like a charm and I am glad that I am starting to fix some of the more annoying problems with the Windows 8.1 upgrade.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I appreciate you taking a moment to share your thoughts. I for one am looking forward to Windows 9, which I think will get us back on a much more usable operating system.

By Eric
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thanks for sharing this. Since I actually use Excel for productive purposes and not for casual use (as most people do?) I found this behavior to be seriously obnoxious. Now I don't have much in the way of complaints about XL2013.

Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I'm glad you found this helpful. I do still grumble about the new File menu structure in Excel 2013, but I'm getting used to it.

By excelda
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Thank you sir! Death to Excel2007, Excel2010, Excel2013, Windows7, Windows8. Long live Excel2003 and WindowsXP!

Pages