Recording tricky accounts receivable transactions in QuickBooks

istock_UltraONEs_software
istock_UltraONEs_software
admin
Sift Media
Blogger

By Irene Bushnell and Kevin Cumley

Which tricky transactions, you ask? You know, those once-in-a-while transactions that always give you a headache (and you can never figure out or remember how to do), such as recording bad debt, trading receivables with payables, and recording customer down payments. Let’s look at a few of them and discuss the best way to record those transactions in QuickBooks. Recording Bad Debt Unfortunately, there are times when someone doesn’t pay an invoice and we need to write off the transaction as bad debt. No, please don’t take the easy way out and just void the invoice! It’s important for organizations to track bad debt to help manage the finances of the business. The method described below is particularly useful because it creates a document (a credit memo) that accurately describes the written-off receivable.
  • Set up an Item called Bad Debt Write-Off. The item can be an Other Charge type and be linked to the Bad Debt Expense account in the chart of accounts.
  • Create a credit memo for the receivable being written off. In the credit memo, use the item created above and write notes for yourself about the debt being written off. Be sure to include all the details you may need later on. This leaves a well-documented paper trail for future reference.
  • Use the Receive Payments window to apply the credit to the outstanding invoice.
 Trading or Bartering Using Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable Have you ever had a customer who wants to trade what is owed to your company for a service or item you purchased from him/her? If you record such transactions with the method described below, you have a more accurate picture of total income and expenses, even though the net effect on your income statement is zero.

Please Login or Register to read the full article

To access all of the content on our site, register (it's free!) or login to your existing account.

Replies

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By Mike
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

my question is in relation to the receive payment/pay bill.... I have a client who has a credit for an hst return that the govn applied to his account owing. how would you sugguest I go about this as it never goes into the bank??

By QB newbie
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I want the offset for my accounts receivable upload to be deferred revenue. can this be done?

By jb
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

Why don't my payments for a client get posted to the journal?

By shawnicans
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

I have a tricky one. I purchased advertisement in a magazine and $150 of the bill was negotiated to be 3- $50 gift certificates for product we manufacture. How do I do the accounting on this when a certificate of $50 is applied to an invoice??

By cc
Jun 26th 2015 01:11

We are a general contractor who uses a third party network for some insurance work. They pay us the final payment from the insurance company. We unfortunately used a bad contractor and had to pay back the customer for an entire project. The third party company we use took this out of a final payment for another project. How do I record this so that the new project reflects payment in full when in actuality we did not physically receive the money.

By Trey
Jun 26th 2015 01:12

Hi, I have a question -

In the case of a construction company that takes a downpayment before the work was started and wants to invoice when the work has been completed - Is there a way to take the down payment without having a credit on AR and recording revenue? We don't want to understate the AR by having a credit on there and we don't want to overstate revenue by recording income that hasn't been "earned" yet because the actual work hasn't been done.

Thanks

By Mahoro
Dec 29th 2015 20:05

Hi. I use QuickBook UK version. My question is in relation to the way invoices and bills are recorded. Whenever I create an invoice, it gets recorded both in Account Receivable and the bank account set for the item I'm raising it for. As a result, when I receive the payment, the amount gets balanced out in the bank account. Same situation for the bill: it gets recorded both in the Account Payable and bank account, with the same outcome as above.

Why is this happening and how can I solve this problem?

By drusieu
Apr 9th 2016 01:28

Double entry manual bookkeeping.
Down payment of 50% for custom made furniture.
Remainder paid in full upon delivery.
What should I do as bookkeeper?

Apr 28th 2016 21:16

We recently upgraded our phone system and are thinking about selling our old phones. What category in the Chart would I use to record the income in Quickbooks?

By Mike117
Jan 9th 2017 20:33

Though quickbooks is meant to be beginner friendly, but still i hear lots of problem from quickbooks users. Some they are not able to go through a certain transaction and others say they find the program quite complex. There are problems with everyone though that's why I guess they have come out with online and offline support by giving us access to their quickbooks enterprise support number which works day and night. I see here few of the problems people discussing in the commenting section, thus for them here is quickbooks support number at 1844-857-4845.

By JaneF
Feb 10th 2017 02:34

Question? We contract projects for a set fee - sometime through a third party. The third party collected and deposited the payment into their account. They then paid our company for the project less their commission. How do I record this in QuickBooks? For example the project was contracted out for $1,000 - the customer paid the third party $500 for a down payment, the third party took their commission of $100 up front and paid us $400. The balance due of $500 will paid directly to us at completion. How do I reflect the full contracted amount and account for the commission even though those funds were never deposited into our account?

By JaneF