The pathway to greater profitability is to focus on improving process flow. It is the key to unlocking the cash register and increasing profits. There are thousands of processes in most organizations. This means lots of opportunities for increasing profits.
- Why are these items sitting here?
- Why do we produce more than the customer ordered?
- How come it takes so long to change set ups?
- By speeding up our set up times can we avoid investing capital in new equipment?
- Where is the bottleneck in this process?
- Why are these products being reworked?
- Why is the travel distance in this process so long and how can we reduce it?
- How can we reduce the number of times we handle items?
- What is the delivery time and how can we reduce it?
Lynn Northrup, CPA, CPIM - Lynn's focus is on building business value for both family-owned businesses and other CPAs. I also specialize in lean accounting, process improvement, internal control, and assessment of audit risk. Other accomplishments include publishing two books, development of self study programs for Bisk Education, and an Adjunct Professorship at Villanova University. My wife Jessica and I live in southwestern Colorado and we look forward to contributing to the AccountingWEB community.