Building Blog Readership
By Michelle Golden - Q. How might I bring the contents of my blog to a wider audience?
A. Blog discovery and readership is very organic and, like most marketing, there isn't a single, guaranteed formula, but I can share some general tips and ideas. The best things you can do to promote your blog are:
1 - Write original stuff that your desired audience will get and stay interested in:
- Write in bite-sized pieces for greatest appeal to a very busy reader
- Post with adequate frequency to be recognized as someone who is dedicated to maintaining his blog
- Share your opinions, don’t be too “safe” lest it be dull or predictable—remember, people are drawn to new, exciting ideas
- Be authentic and relaxed in your writing—it’s not a journal article, it’s a blog post—and show personality
2 - Read and interact with other blogs:
- Participate in the on-line communities of people who are discussing issues related to your topics and your audience
- Post comments (not pitchy, though!) on other blogs
- Pick up other blog posts (with attribution, of course) adding your own ideas and expanding the conversation—be sure to use trackbacks to the original posts
- Link liberally to other resources and writings (this is called "link love" - give lots)
- View your blog visitor stats to see what sites referred them and follow those sites
- Practice good blog etiquette by acknowledging and thanking commenters, and those who link to you
3 - Promote your blog presence throughout all your business communications: email sig, in your articles, newsletters, mailings, etc.
And be sure you are having fun. If you aren't enjoying the practice of blogging, stop. Nothing worse than a dispassionate blogger!