Colorado Enacts Tax Amnesty Program!
The Colorado Governor has signed legislation (SB 11-184) creating a Tax Amnesty Program to run from October 1, 2011 to November 15, 2011.
The Amnesty program applies to the following types of taxes for which a return was required to be filed before December 31, 2010:
- Income taxes
- Estate taxes
- Inheritance taxes
- Gift taxes
- Sales and use taxes
- Gasoline and special fuel taxes
- Cigarette taxes
- Taxes on tobacco products
- Severance taxes imposed
- Waste tire fees collected by the department
- County or municipal sales taxes collected by the executive director
- Local marketing and promotion taxes collected by the department pursuant
- County lodging taxes collected by the department
- County rental taxes collected by the department
- Local improvement district sales taxes collected by the department
- Regional transportation district sales and use taxes
- Denver metropolitan scientific and cultural facilities district sales and use taxes
- Denver metropolitan major league baseball stadium district sales and use taxes
- Metropolitan football stadium district sales and use taxes
- Regional transportation authority sales and use taxes collected by the department
For more information, go to COLORADO AMNESTY LEGISLATION.
Brian Strahle is the owner of LEVERAGE SALT, LLC where he provides state and local tax technical services to accounting firms, law firms and tax research organizations across the United States. He also writes a weekly column in Tax Analysts State Tax Notes entitled, "The SALT Effect." For more info, visit his website: www.leveragestateandlocaltax.com
You can reach Brian at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Because state and local taxes are deceptively simple and endlessly complicated.