Marketing blunders: What not to call your Web site
When it comes to creating your company Web site, be careful which domain name you choose – bad choices can send out the wrong message about your firm.
There are plenty of other considerations to keep in mind too, such as the fact that in order to help customers find your site, the name must be short and memorable, easy to spell, and it is even worth thinking about whether it translates well into other languages.
To further complicate matters, the domain name you like may already be taken.
And it is in light of these challenges that some brands can sometimes come unstuck with their choice of domain name - something that self-employed computer programmer Andy Geldman has devoted a Web site to, and has now launched a new book about.
"With over a hundred million Web sites already registered it's extremely unlikely that a business will get their first choice of address. In fact, they'll be lucky to get their second, third, or even hundredth choice," says Geldman. "There have always been unintentionally funny names, but the internet takes it to a whole new level. It's all because you can't have a space in your URL. A business called IT Scrap is fine in the real world but not so great online with itscrap.com!"
Geldman discovered the joy of awful URLs in 2006. Realising he had found his true calling, he coined the word "slurl" - a badly named URL, innocently chosen by a real businesses - and set up a Web site and devoted all his spare time to hunting down more gems. The Web site went on to draw thousands of visitors from around the world, bringing in over 75,000 in 2009.
Now Geldman has written a new book called Slurls, which includes more than a hundred websites along with relevant facts, observations and internet trivia.
Here are some of his favourites from the past four years:
- www.ipwine.com – Could you trust them for a bottle of Chardonnay?
- www.effoff.com – Effective Office Environments plans and manages interiors for working. Not such a welcoming URL though.
- www.mp3shits.com – MP3 downloads. But is the music any good?
- www.actionpaintballsac.com – Action Paintball Games in Sacramento, California.
- www.swissbit.ch – A manufacturer of high-quality computer memory chips
- www.therapistfinder.com – Therapist Finder is a directory of nearly 8,000 licensed mental health professionals in California.
- www.goredfoxes.com – The sports team of Marist College, New York, are known as the Red Foxes. Go Red Foxes!
This article was originally published on our sister site: MyCustomer.com.
Do you have a favorite? Share it with everyone in the Comments section below.
AccountingWEB is more than just a U.S. team of journalists and financial and technology experts - we have an international side, too. Members of our British team who publish AccountingWEB.co.uk share their ideas, insights, and perspectives from across the pond.