Looking Inward -- At Your Growing CPA Firm and Yourself
The accounting, auditing and tax professionals along with most of the administrative team are going to be focused on serving the clients for the next few months. As a firm, you have prepared for this, probably during the fall and now it’s time to provide the type of client service that differentiates your firm from the firm down the street. Of course, all accountants must continue to market and cross-sell. Tax season is the time when CPAs are the heroes! People will actually be surprised to see them at the business breakfast or non-profit mixer. Never – I repeat – never position yourself as too busy.
While all of this is going on, it is time for the firm management team, the managing partner and the internal, support professionals (the people mentioned in the opening paragraph) to look inward at the firm and plan improvements and develop action plans based on new ideas. It is time to get ready for what needs to happen beginning in May.
- Wondering about your recruiting process?
- Does everyone seem bored with your performance evaluation process, maybe even dreading them?
- Does your firm’s brand seem relevant?
- How are the firm’s relations with the college professors?
- How does your recruiting collateral material look?
- Is the career section of your website awesome?
- What is your competition doing?
Rita Keller is a nationally known CPA firm management consultant, speaker, author, mentor and blogger. She is a former shareholder and administrative partner in a successful, regional CPA firm and has over 30 years hands-on experience in CPA firm management, marketing, technology and administrative operations. She works with firms across the country focusing on people, partners and internal management issues.