Tax Crimes Could Send Virginia Man to Prison
Title 18 USC § 371
Conspiracy activities that courts have held defraud the United States under Title 18 USC § 371 - Conspiracy to Defraud the United States - affect the government in at least one of three ways:
- They cheat the government out of money or property;
- They interfere or obstruct legitimate Government activity; or
- They make wrongful use of a governmental instrumentality.
If two or more persons conspire either to commit any offense against the United States, or to defraud the United States, or any agency thereof in any manner or for any purpose, and one or more of such persons do any act to effect the object of the conspiracy, each:
- Shall be imprisoned not more than 5 years;
- Or fined not more than $250,000 for individuals ($500,000 for corporations);
- Or both.
- Brooklyn Resident Sentenced to Prison for Conspiracy to File False Claims for Tax Refunds
- Washington State Trust Promoters Indicted for Tax Conspiracy