Many States Offer Back-to-School Sales Tax Holidays in 2013
by Terri Eyden on
The following sixteen states will offer sales tax holidays for back-to-school shopping within the next month.
Alabama: From August 2 to 4, the following are exempt:
- Clothing (not accessories or protective or recreational equipment) with a sales price of $100 or less per item.
- Single purchases, with a sales price of $750 or less, of computers, computer software, and school computer equipment.
- Noncommercial purchases of school supplies, school art supplies, and school instructional materials with a sales price of $50 or less per item.
- Noncommercial book purchases with a sales price of $30 or less per book.
Arkansas: On August 3 and 4, the following are exempt:
- Sales of clothing items under $100.
- Clothing accessories or equipment under $50.
- School art supplies, school instructional materials, and school supplies.
Connecticut: From August 18 to 24:
- Clothing and footwear costing less than $300 per item are exempt.
Not included are athletic or protective clothing or footwear, jewelry, handbags, luggage, umbrellas, wallets, watches, and similar items.
Florida: From August 2 to 4, the following are exempt:
- Clothing with a sales price of $75 or less per item.
- School supplies with a sales price of $15 or less per item.
- Personal computers and related accessories with a sales price of $750 or less purchased for noncommercial use.
The holiday exemption does not apply to sales of such items made within a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment, or airport.
Georgia: On August 9 and 10, the following are exempt:
- Clothing and footwear with a sales price of $100 or less per article or pair, excluding accessories.
- Single purchases for noncommercial use of $1,000 or less of personal computers and related accessories.
- General school supplies priced at up to $20 per item.
Iowa: On August 2 and 3:
- Clothing and footwear with a sales price of less than $100 per item are exempt.
The exemption does not include any special clothing or footwear that is primarily designed for athletic activity or protective use and not normally worn except when used for the athletic activity or protective use for which it is designed. The exemption also excludes accessories or the rental of any clothing or footwear.
Louisiana: On August 2 and 3:
- The first $2,500 of the sales price of noncommercial purchases (not leases) of items of tangible personal property (not vehicles or meals) is exempt.
Although the holiday exemption does not apply to local taxes, St. Charles Parish will waive its local sales tax during the same weekend as the state holiday.
You may like these other stories...
IRS must take oath on Lerner emails: judgeMackenzie Weinger of Politico reported on Thursday that a federal judge ordered the IRS to explain under oath how it lost emails connected to Lois Lerner, the ex-IRS official at the...
The Republican-controlled House of Representatives passed a bill on Friday morning that would permanently extend the bonus depreciation tax break for businesses.The measure, HR 4718, which was crafted by Representative Pat...
The Republican-led House of Representatives is expected to pass a bill this week that would permanently extend the bonus depreciation tax break. But don’t expect President Obama to sign it.The Obama administration said...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
Hand off work to others with finesse and success. Kristen Rampe, CPA will share how to ensure delegated work is properly handled from start to finish in this content-rich one hour webinar.
FRF for SMEs Series--Statement of Cash Flows, Subsequent Events, Related Party Issues, Accounting for Investments including Consolidations, Part 4A
This webcast will cover the preparation of the statement of cash flows and focus on accounting and disclosure policies for other important issues described below.
We can’t deny a great divide exists between the expectations and workplace needs of Baby Boomers and Millennials. To create thriving organizational performance, we need to shift the way in which we groom future leaders.
In this presentation Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA revisits the Excel feature you should be using, but probably aren't. The Table feature offers the ability to both boost the integrity of your spreadsheets, but reduce maintenance as well.