Identifying Duplicate Values in an Excel List
by Terri Eyden on
To remove the conditional formatting, one approach is to click the Conditional Formatting button, choose Clear Rules, and then Clear Rules from Entire Worksheet, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: You can easily clear conditional formatting from a worksheet in Excel 2007 and later.
If you're using Excel 2003, you don't have the ability to filter by color, but you can isolate duplicate values by way of the COUNTIF worksheet function. COUNTIF has two arguments:
- Range: This is a range of two or more cells that you wish to test.
- Criteria: The value that you're seeking within the range.
Building on the example shown in Figure 1, you can add the following formula to cell C2:
Once you've entered the formula, double-click on the Fill Handle in cell C2 to copy the formula down the column. The Fill Handle is the little notch that most users drag down a column when copying formulas.
You can then filter the list for any values greater than 1:
Excel 2007 and later
- Click on cell A1 and then choose Filter on the Data tab of Excel's ribbon.
- Click the Filter arrow in cell C1, choose Number Filters, and then Greater Than.
- Enter 1, and then click OK to filter the list to for duplicate values.
Excel 2003 and earlier
- Click on cell A1, then choose Data, Filter, and then AutoFilter.
- Click the Filter arrow in cell C1 and then choose Custom.
- Change Equals to Greater Than, Enter 1, and then click OK.
Read Part 2 of this series to learn more ways to identify duplicate items an Excel spreadsheets.
See all articles by David Ringstrom.
About the author:
David H. Ringstrom, CPA heads up Accounting Advisors, Inc., an Atlanta-based software and database consulting firm providing training and consulting services nationwide. Contact David at email@example.com or follow him on Twitter. David also presents monthly Excel webcasts for AccountingWEB partner CPE Link.
You may like these other stories...
If you're thinking that bitcoin and digital currency generally are merely some one-off flash in the pan, the new Digital Currency Council would argue otherwise. The council launched in September and already had 400...
Sponsored Content from Confirmation.com: AccountingWEB takes a look at confirmations in audit engagements, how they can serve as a doorway to fraud, and what you can do about it. Today, auditors have to fight fire with...
If your small-business clients are on the fence about cloud accounting, they've got plenty of company. A recent survey by market researcher and consultant Software Advice indicates a decidedly mixed view by respondents...