Identifying Duplicate Values in an Excel List
by Terri Eyden on
By David H. Ringstrom, CPA
From time to time, you may need to identify duplicate values with a list in Excel. Modern versions, including Excel 2007 and later, provide this capability with just a few mouse clicks. For good measure, I'll also describe a worksheet function-based approach that works in any version of Excel.
As shown in Figure 1, you can easily identify duplicate invoice numbers in a list. To do so:
- Select the range of cells you wish to test. One way to do so is to click on a single cell and then press Ctrl-A.
- On Excel's Home tab, choose Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells Rules, and then Duplicate Values.
- Click OK within the Duplicate Values dialog box to identify the duplicate values.
- Duplicate values in the list will now be identified.
Figure 1: Excel's Conditional Formatting feature makes it easy to identify duplicate values in a list.
You can then isolate just the duplicates, as shown in Figure 2:
- Right-click on one of the duplicate cells, choose Filter, and then Filter by Selected Cell's Color.
- This collapses the list to show just the duplicate values, which you can copy and paste to another worksheet, or otherwise manage, as shown in the inset in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Excel 2007 and later offer the ability to filter cells based on color.
You may like these other stories...
In the old days, we used to tape down receipts from our travels and submit them to accounts payable. But that was before remote employees who may live in a different city from the home office. And of course, there's all...
In 2011, electrical services and technology provider Parsons Electric in Minneapolis, Minn., decided to take its accounting to the cloud. Monica Ross, the company's director of strategic projects, talked with AWEB about...
Event Date: July 24, 2014, 2 pm ET In this presentation Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA revisits the Excel feature you should be using, but probably aren't. The Table feature offers the ability to both boost the...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
Hand off work to others with finesse and success. Kristen Rampe, CPA will share how to ensure delegated work is properly handled from start to finish in this content-rich one hour webinar.
FRF for SMEs Series--Statement of Cash Flows, Subsequent Events, Related Party Issues, Accounting for Investments including Consolidations, Part 4A
This webcast will cover the preparation of the statement of cash flows and focus on accounting and disclosure policies for other important issues described below.
We can’t deny a great divide exists between the expectations and workplace needs of Baby Boomers and Millennials. To create thriving organizational performance, we need to shift the way in which we groom future leaders.
In this presentation Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA revisits the Excel feature you should be using, but probably aren't. The Table feature offers the ability to both boost the integrity of your spreadsheets, but reduce maintenance as well.