AICPA Says IRS Needs to Issue Additional DOMA Guidance
by Terri Eyden on
In an October 30 letter to the IRS, the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) identified seventeen areas in which the IRS should provide additional guidance to taxpayers and tax practitioners as a result of the US Supreme Court's decision in United States v. Windsor, which ruled that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was unconstitutional.
The AICPA's request for additional guidance covered income tax, estate and gift tax, and other issues. Among the issues on which the AICPA requested guidance are:
- The status of certain civil unions and registered domestic partnerships;
- Whether special notations are needed on amended returns to aid in the processing of forms filed by couples who choose to amend their returns to convert to joint status;
- Whether a same-sex married employee who requests that his/her employer file to obtain a FICA tax refund must also amend his/her Form 1040 to change the filing status;
- The tax treatment of payments that qualify as alimony to/from a former same-sex marriage partner;
- The tax-free transfer of property between spouses;
- The process for estates to claim portability of the estate tax exemption if they did not file Form 706 because they were below the filing threshold; and
- How taxpayers must report, or track, previously reported gifts that are now eligible for the marital exclusion and for gift splitting.
The letter is available online.
For more information or to speak with someone about the AICPA's guidance request, contact Shirley Twillman at email@example.com or (202) 434-9220.
Source: October 31, 2013, AICPA News Release
You may like these other stories...
Renaissance avoided more than $6 billion tax, report saysThe Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations said on Monday that a Renaissance Technologies LLC hedge fund’s investors probably avoided more than $6...
A new Gallup survey found that 58 percent of smokers in the United States see increased state and federal taxes on cigarettes as an act of unjust discrimination, while 39 percent believe the tax hikes are justified.The...
Liberal groups object to bill barring taxes on Internet accessThe Internet Tax Freedom Act hasn’t been a controversial bill. In fact, it’s so popular that senators are seeking to pair it up with a far more...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
We can’t deny a great divide exists between the expectations and workplace needs of Baby Boomers and Millennials. To create thriving organizational performance, we need to shift the way in which we groom future leaders.
In this presentation Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA revisits the Excel feature you should be using, but probably aren't. The Table feature offers the ability to both boost the integrity of your spreadsheets, but reduce maintenance as well.
In this session Excel expert David Ringstrom helps beginners get up to speed in Microsoft Excel. However, even experienced Excel users will learn some new tricks, particularly when David discusses under-utilized aspects of Excel.
FRF for SMEs Series--Measurement and Disclosure Principles for various Consolidations and Business Combinations, Part 4B
This webcast will focus on accounting and disclosure policies for various types of consolidations and business combinations.