AICPA Says IRS Needs to Issue Additional DOMA Guidance
by Terri Eyden on
In an October 30 letter to the IRS, the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) identified seventeen areas in which the IRS should provide additional guidance to taxpayers and tax practitioners as a result of the US Supreme Court's decision in United States v. Windsor, which ruled that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was unconstitutional.
The AICPA's request for additional guidance covered income tax, estate and gift tax, and other issues. Among the issues on which the AICPA requested guidance are:
- The status of certain civil unions and registered domestic partnerships;
- Whether special notations are needed on amended returns to aid in the processing of forms filed by couples who choose to amend their returns to convert to joint status;
- Whether a same-sex married employee who requests that his/her employer file to obtain a FICA tax refund must also amend his/her Form 1040 to change the filing status;
- The tax treatment of payments that qualify as alimony to/from a former same-sex marriage partner;
- The tax-free transfer of property between spouses;
- The process for estates to claim portability of the estate tax exemption if they did not file Form 706 because they were below the filing threshold; and
- How taxpayers must report, or track, previously reported gifts that are now eligible for the marital exclusion and for gift splitting.
The letter is available online.
For more information or to speak with someone about the AICPA's guidance request, contact Shirley Twillman at email@example.com or (202) 434-9220.
Source: October 31, 2013, AICPA News Release
You may like these other stories...
IRS must take oath on Lerner emails: judgeMackenzie Weinger of Politico reported on Thursday that a federal judge ordered the IRS to explain under oath how it lost emails connected to Lois Lerner, the ex-IRS official at the...
The Republican-controlled House of Representatives passed a bill on Friday morning that would permanently extend the bonus depreciation tax break for businesses.The measure, HR 4718, which was crafted by Representative Pat...
The Republican-led House of Representatives is expected to pass a bill this week that would permanently extend the bonus depreciation tax break. But don’t expect President Obama to sign it.The Obama administration said...
Upcoming CPE Webinars
Hand off work to others with finesse and success. Kristen Rampe, CPA will share how to ensure delegated work is properly handled from start to finish in this content-rich one hour webinar.
FRF for SMEs Series--Statement of Cash Flows, Subsequent Events, Related Party Issues, Accounting for Investments including Consolidations, Part 4A
This webcast will cover the preparation of the statement of cash flows and focus on accounting and disclosure policies for other important issues described below.
We can’t deny a great divide exists between the expectations and workplace needs of Baby Boomers and Millennials. To create thriving organizational performance, we need to shift the way in which we groom future leaders.
In this presentation Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA revisits the Excel feature you should be using, but probably aren't. The Table feature offers the ability to both boost the integrity of your spreadsheets, but reduce maintenance as well.