Is your firm worried about hackers? Have all the necessary precautions been taken to protect your company computers from security breaches? If you answered, "Yes," think again. A survey published by the security research company @stake shows that the single biggest cause of network security breaches is mistakes by users.
Here are some of the more common mistakes uncovered by the research company:
- Leaving passwords on paper notes
- Failing to change passwords from the default
- Incorrectly configuring hardware
- Encrypting data but leaving the data on a machine in unencrypted format
- Connecting servers directly to the Internet, bypassing router firewalls
A similar survey conducted by KMPG produce comparable results. According to the KPMG survey, the majority of computer fraud is committed by employees trying to access the company's inside information.