This Resource Guide Brought To You By
THIS WEEK'S RESOURCES
- Insurance Associations Concerned About IASB Standard
- IRS Launches Online Tools to Help Access Client Information
- PCAOB Solicits Nominations For Advisory Group
- Survey Finds Little Effect From SOX on Not-for-Profits
- Overcharged Investors May Receive Refunds, January Deadline
- Small Businesses Most Vulnerable to Payroll Fraud
- IRS Reminds Some Refinancing Costs May Be Deductible
- Trend Setters: Company to Format, Release Earnings in XBRL
- IRS Expands Locations For Convention Expense Deductions
- Is Your Cash-Value Insurance Policy in Danger?
- Book Recommendation: Leading For Innovation & Organizing For Results
- The Ten Commandments of Goal Setting
- Fraud Challenges: Digital Evidence Management Tip
- Key to Foiling Financial Fraud: Protect Honest Employees
- Seven Barriers to Becoming Customer Focused "QUOTABLE QUOTES""Truth has no special time of its own. Its hour is now - - always." - - Albert Schweitzer 1875-1965SPONSOR OFFER
Bentley's Master of Science degrees in Accountancy and
Accounting Information Systems deliver the skills needed to
analyze data and make informed business decisions. Because they utilize technology and immediately add value, Bentley graduates are actively recruited by accounting firms and leading corporations. For more information, attend a Graduate information session Saturday, November 15 or visit us online.THIS WEEK'S RESOURCES1. Insurance Associations Concerned About IASB StandardSeven major insurance trade associations have asked the IASB to take another look at its Exposure Draft 5, Insurance Contracts, which is also referred to as Phase I of the Insurance Contract Accounting project. The seven insurance companies are particularly concerned with how insurance assets and liabilities will be valued-fair value or market value-under the proposed rule. - More Finance News2. IRS Launches Online Tools to Help Access Client InformationThe IRS has launched the first of a suite of Internet-based
business tools that give tax professionals and financial
institutions easier access to client information.
- More IRS NewsSPONSOR OFFER
21 Checklists To Save Expensive Marketing Mistakes. This
downloadable e-collection of 21 Checklists for use in planning and implementing the marketing ideas contained in the manual, LOW COST HIGH IMPACT WAYS TO WIN NEW CLIENTS, published as an e-book, will help firms who want to earn better fees from their existing clients and win more new clients. Download for just $49.95.
3. PCAOB Solicits Nominations For Advisory GroupThe Public Company Accounting Oversight Board is now soliciting nominations for members of a standing advisory group that will assist the Board in carrying out its standards-setting responsibilities for auditing. The deadline for submissions is December 22, 2003.
- More PCAOB News
4. Survey Finds Little Effect From SOX on Not-for-ProfitsA recent national survey of not-for-profit business leaders and Executives, conducted by Grant Thornton LLP, finds that
Sarbanes-Oxley has had little effect on not-for-profit
organizations throughout the United States.
Attention Certified Public Accountants (CPAs)Win a Free Year-Long Premium Subscription to AccountingWEB!Look for details in this issue of the Resource Guide)5. Overcharged Investors May Receive Refunds, January DeadlineAbout 450 securities firms will contact mutual fund investors over the next three months about possible refunds totaling at least $85 million. MORE RESOURCES...
11. Book Recommendation: Leading For Innovation & Organizing For Results, Francis Hesselbein, Peter F. Drucker Foundation This is the second volume in the publisher's "Wisdom to Action" series. As in the previous volume highlighted last week, the editors gather a collection of articles written by well-respected businesspeople from around the world. Filled with specific examples of the hands-on work needed to make innovation a reality for leaders and their organizations, this book offers a wealth of thoughtful and incisive essays that will help leaders everywhere take their organizations and communities to a new level of excellence. Order your copy today.
PREMIUM CONTENTExpert insight on managing an accounting practice, growing your business, professional development and personal improvement is just a click away for AccountingWEB Premium subscribers. See a sampling below. Subscribe today for only $49/year.1. The Ten Commandments of Goal SettingSuccess is a choice. You must decide what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it. No one else can, will, or should do that for you. Find out how you can turn your goals into reality. 2. Fraud Challenges: Digital Evidence ManagementIn the wake of an economic downturn which has left those spared from layoffs either working daunting hours under stress or not busy enough to feel secure, firms need to foster a community feeling and sense of purpose as well as facilitate positive communication. 3. Key to Foiling Financial Fraud: Protect Honest EmployeesAs the "Enron pattern" shows no signs of abating, it is clearer than ever that corporate book-cooking will remain a stubborn blemish on America's corporate image for, well, a very long time. For corporate, regulatory, and law enforcement fraud-fighters, the question therefore is, "How can we at least reduce the number of Enron-type cases?"
4. Seven Barriers to Becoming Customer FocusedSuccessful companies today are the ones that revolve their
business around their customers. They focus on adding value by designing processes such as technology, training and employee compensation systems to support a strategy of customer-centricity that penetrates all areas of the organization, resulting in a concerted effort towards providing superior value.
Attention Certified Public Accountants (CPAs)Win a Year-Long Premium Content Subscription to AccountingWEB!Just take a brief moment to complete your personal profile with accurate, up-to-date information. In the "Personal Information" area of the AccountingWEB profile page, be sure to check the appropriate box "Are you a CPA" Y or N. Then simply click on the "Update Profile" button and you'll be entered for a chance to win a free year-long premium subscription license to AccountingWEB! If you've forgotten your login details, we'll send you a
reminder. We'll remind you!This offer ends November 28, 2003. You will be notified by
phone or via e-mail of your Free One-Year Premium Content
License! All entrants must update their profile page on or
before November 28, 2003 in order to win! LAST WEEK'S HOT TOPICS ON ACCOUNTINGWEBIf you've forgotten your login details, we'll send you a
reminder. We'll remind you!1. Study: Audit Firms Still Bend Rules to Benefit Big Clients2. "Heads should roll" at The SEC, Says NY Attorney General Spitze3. Microsoft Puts Bounty on Heads of Internet Attackers4. Insurer Balks at Paying Fines For Xerox Executives5. States Band Together on Tax Authority For Online PurchasesClick here for more Hot Topics on AccountingWEBACCOUNTINGWEB Q & A FORUMRegistered AccountingWEB members may add their questions in this area for other members to view and respond to. See a sampling of recent questions added. Take a look and lend a hand today. 1. I am a UK practicing accountant moving to Florida. I wish to purchase a tax prep and accounts prep business there. Could any one point me in a good direction for info? 2. I am currently using spreadsheets for my budgets for a small to medium size manufacturing business. The information has expanded so much I am not reassured that the formulas are correct all the time. Any suggestions?3. I am trying to use the excel sumif function based on a group of cells where the reference cell is populated with data (name) using a drop-down list for restricted selection. The sumif function does not seem to "read" the data in the reference cells(populated by the drop down list). Any thoughts?See more member questions in the Q&A Forum.
MORE ON ACCOUNTINGWEB...Top News and ArchivesMember Tools and ResourcesPremium Content ArchivesMarketplaceNewswire Archives2003 Tax CalendarTop Selling BooksAccountingWEB Marketing SolutionsACCOUNTINGWEB Q & A ForumSUBSCRIBER INFORMATION Your Personal Membership Information - Take a moment today to ensure that we have accurate, up-to-date information in our records. Just go to your Profile Page and login to update your information today!Login and Password Information - If you've forgotten your AccountingWEB.com login details, we'll send you a reminder. Premium Subscriber Information - Expert insight on managing an accounting practice, growing your business, professional development and personal improvement is just a click away for AccountingWEB Premium subscribers. Access to the growing library of the latest insights, ideas and tools is available for only $49 a year, just $4 a month.Copyright (C) 2003 AccountingWEB, Inc.
All rights reserved.
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."