AccountingWEB Weekly Resource Guide - Issue 48
May 13 - May 17, 2002
This Resource Guide Brought to You By:
- IRS Offers Grants to Professionals For Low Income Tax Assistance
- Financial Reporting Ranks as Top Technology Issue
- Daily Business Intelligence From Oracle E-Business
- 17 Ways To 'Retool' For Successful Selling
- AICPA Issues Guide for Taking on New Audit Clients
- KPMG Finds its Name Brings Unexpected Rewards
- The Art of Managing a Group of Professionals
- Dynamic Intuition - A Strategy for Business Success in the 21st Century
- Ten E-Mail Courtesy Tips For Businesses
- Book Recommendation: 21 Proven Strategies To Outsell Your Competition and Win The Big Sale, by Dave Stein
- From the Archives: Strategic Vision - All Firms Need It
- Just For Fun: Welcome to The Hotel Kenneth Laya
- Special: New Deadline for IRS Form 1042-S approaches
Plus: PressZONE, CareerZONE, and The MarketPlace
"Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other." - - John F. Kennedy
Visit the AccountingWEB home page for the latest news and happenings around the profession. Don't miss a beat, keep up-to-date with the AccountingWEB Newswires.
Organizations providing low-cost or no-cost representation to people involved in tax disputes can apply for grants worth up to $100,000 for the 2003 grant cycle, according to the Internal Revenue Service.
The American Institute of CPAs' top technologies list for 2002 ranks business and financial reporting at the top of the list.
Oracle invites you to look at your data in a whole new way with Daily Business Intelligence. When decisions have to be made at a moment's notice, you need up-to-the-minute, cross-company information at your fingertips. Click here for a FREE Business Success Kit with a whitepaper from The Economist, demos, and an executive workshop.
Selling no longer means what it once did. Quick communication and instant access to information-i.e., the Internet-have created a brave new world for sales professionals. Consultant and executive coach Dave Stein shows how to master the art of selling with practical advice.
A World-Class Network of Independent Firms
As the principals of independent accounting firms have long recognized, there are significant advantages to operating as mid-size local or regional firms. You're not beholden to any bureaucracy or hierarchy. You're agile, nimble, and flexible. You're free to chart your own course, and serve your clients your way. But at the same time, larger firms sometimes have the advantage with their national and worldwide contacts. That's where the International Group of Accounting Firms comes in. We're a worldwide association that offers our member firms the shared knowledge, strength, and capabilities of a global professional organization − designed exclusively for the mid-size independent firm. Visit us today to find out more.
The American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) has released a practice aid for accounting firms that conduct audits of publicly owned companies.
Back in 1987, KPMG's leadership team chose to name the firm KPMG in recognition of its principal founding members Klynveld, Peat, Marwick and Goerdeler. Little did they know that fifteen years later, this same name would help open doors in India.
On May 2, David Maister and Patrick McKenna presented a one-hour live teleconference for AccountingWEB on the Art of Managing a Group of Professionals, based on their new book. AccountingWEB members can get the audio tape of this live session.
Looking for the next new business idea? It is a strategic process that works in a down economy, a stagnant economy and an up economy.
How can you make sure your business is more successful? Try a little E-Mail Courtesy. Many businesses who've established themselves on the Internet haven't the faintest idea of how to address one of the most important issues online: Customer Service.
Selling skills may be one of those things that come naturally to some people, but if you are like the rest of us you will find Dave Stein's new book well worth your time. In this book, Stein presents practical strategies spiced with real world examples of what works and what doesn't. Selling is still a relationship game, but after reading this book, you will also learn how to leverage the new technologies and become a more effective seller. In a way the book read like an updated sales version of "Getting to Yes". Purchase it NOW!
11. From the Archives: Strategic Vision - All Firms Need It
Vision is important if your firm plans to grow and prosper. Based upon what the well-managed firms do, at a minimum, your firm should have a one-page strategic plan with measurable goals.
12. Just For Fun: Welcome to The Hotel Kenneth Laya
One of the prosecution's witnesses in the Andersen trial, testified that he wrote the lyrics to a humorous song, making light of the firm's relationship with Enron. The song title, Hotel Kenneth Laya, refers to Enron's former CEO, Kenneth Lay.
13.Special: New Deadline for IRS Form 1042-S Approaches
Earlier this spring The Internal Revenue Service announced that for this year only it is extending the due date of Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding, from March 15 to May 15.
- CCH Enteract Enhancements Include Monte Carlo Simulation
- ComplianceEdge Gives Hospitals, Health Plans A Head Start on HIPPA
- Staff Accountant, Indianapolis, IN
- Senior Accountant, Long Island, NY
- Financial Analyst, Atlanta, GA
- Assets Accountant, Seattle, WA
- Loan Officer, Chicago, IL
First Research publishes seven- to fourteen-page targeted Industry Profiles on over 100 industries. These Industry Profiles will help you with everything from Business Valuations to Audits to Sales & Marketing Call Preparation. The profiles are updated quarterly and new selections are being added every month! Just $99 per profile.
Industry Profiles Categories
Client Newsletter Service
Each month subscribers to this AccountingWEB service will receive five topical stories, tips, ideas and other materials to reproduce in the firm's client newsletters or on your Web site. You can send a story a week to your clients, just to keep them updated on a weekly basis. Create a professionally designed newsletter for your clients to assist your firm in keeping in touch with your clients on a regular basis.
Here is a sample of the questions that have been posted over the past week. Check out the questions below and see if you can lend a hand or visit the Q&A Forum Page for the most recent questions/answers posted by our members.
- Quicken Form Design: I'm trying to put this form together, when I try to change the default 10% sales tax to the local sales tax. It will not let me do so. I've gone into the menu clicked on "sales tax" and it only lets me title it. It shows 10% Tax. The word "Tax", I can change but the 10% I cannot. In Quicken 2002 business and Home, I'm in Form Designer: Invoice Default. Please help.
- Looking for New Auditors. What are the most critical facts I need to find out about new audit firms my company might change over to? I need some ideas on good, searching questions to put to them.
AccountingWEB has a variety of promotional opportunities available for you to market your company, services and products to our targeted audience of accounting professionals. Brand awareness and lead generations are the main reasons for an ongoing and targeted marketing campaign. Secure your spot today and get FREE banners for a month. Contact us today for more information.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS
Copyright (C) 2002 AccountingWEB, Inc.
All rights reserved
"To inform, to enrich, to enlighten, to entertain."